Verizon False Advertising?
IsThisRight

The following link describes a $69.99 triple play bundle for Boston area but when you click to continue you only get the $79.99 price

https://www.verizon.com/home/promo/bos-lead/

I'm within 15 mi from Boston so I'd definitely think I'd get the price, but it didn't say anything, it just took me to the $79.99 price.  When I asked online about it I was told it was just a fishing site and wasn't real so I just signed up at the $79.99 price.  But then I looked at the URL again and was able to actually strike a conversation up with an online rep using it so I know it's legit. I even tried entering 02101 which is a direct Boston ZIP code but using it states that "these services are not available in your area" and just offers up another link for other opportunities.

I'm not sure what's going on, if this is false advertising or a mistake but I certainly expected to get the deal stated in this link

0 Likes
Re: Verizon False Advertising?
jonjones1
Legend

Depends if the deal at the lower price is correctly listed and read. Some of these deals are $10 cheaper with direct payment (autopay) and paperless billing. So it would be $69.99 that may be the case with this situation.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

As i said you have to read the offer.imageWith 2 year agreement and auto pay

0 Likes
IsThisRight

Verizon posts the following 2 ads for 2 year price guarantee tripple play bundle:

Tripple Play Bundle:
https://www.verizon.com/home/bundles/fios/

Boston Only Tripple Play Bundle:
https://www.verizon.com/home/promo/bos-lead/

Both ads have the exact following statement:
"w/ Auto Pay & 2-yr agmt + taxes, equip. charges & other fees. Up to 940/880 Mbps."

I believe this is false advertising because despite the fact that both ads take you to the same $79.99/mo bundle offer:

• Boston ad states $69.99/mo, whereas the other ad is $79.99/mo
  • Boston ad states: "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo. for a Fios Triple Play with a 2-year term"

It's also worth noting that the agent also seemed to be confused

imageimage

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Its not false advertising. It clearly states in both cases $79.99 w/two year agreement and auto pay & paperless billing. That is how you derive at the $69.99 price.

if you dont use paperless billing & auto pay its $79.99

in both instances it does not include taxes and surcharges. Which they both clearly state.

0 Likes
IsThisRight

@ Based on your statement "It clearly states in both cases $79.99 w/two year agreement and auto pay & paperless billing" I'm not sure you read my prior reply correctly where I post links and images of both Verizon ads where the

Your statement "It clearly states in both cases $79.99 w/two year agreement and auto pay & paperless billing", is incorrect.

More explanation why this is fales advertising:

Since autoplay causes the regular triple play ad to reduce from $79.99 to $69.99, it should then logically cause the "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo" ad from $69.99 to $59.99, but that is NOT the case as following through with both ads both end up with the same offer $79.99 allowing $69.99 if autopay is used.  Since they're the same offer how can Verizon explain why one says "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo" while the other says $79.99?

Recap:

• Regular triple play ad says $79.99
  • "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo" ad says $69.99
  • Both adds state the price (Boston: $69.99; Regular: $79.99) followed by "w/ Auto Pay & 2-yr agmt + taxes, equip. charges & other fees. Up to 940/880 Mbps."
  • "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo" ad results in the same exact offer as the other offer that states $79.99/mo

This is false advertising

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

As you have stated in your reply you must have understood what i meant by the $69.99 and the $79.99 coming out to the same scenario.

lets forget the Boston Ad for now. Fios standing offer for NEW customers is $79.99 w/2 year agreement with a $5 discount for auto pay, and a $5 off for paperless billing. ($10 savings) that drops the price to $69.99 with taxes and surcharges and fees.

now the first link you gave i went to. It states $69.99 w/2 year agreement and auto pay and paperless billing. Taxes and surcharges and fees not included. 

It is the same deal only the words are changed. Is it false advertising? That is subjective on the reader. To me the six of one - half dozen of the other is the analogy.

the only difference is “Do you want to get verizon fios”? Both offers are identical. 

I can tell you its a superior internet product. I don’t use their tv or phone service which is the high cost via those pesky taxes, fees and surcharges. The internet only at the gigabyte level is $69.99 with no contracts and no taxes and fees. If you were in NY there would be a bogus surcharge added on at $2.49 a month.

0 Likes
IsThisRight

Just because you end up with the same deal in both ads doesn't mean that both ads are the same.

In this case it is abundently clear that both ads are NOT identical (as you stated), the significant difference is the Boston ad:

• States $69.99/mo (vs. $79.99/mo for the other ad) - that's different
  • Is "Only available in the City of Boston" - also different

False Advertising:

It is false that the advertising for "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo" ad should produce the same offer as the $79/99 ad where both ads contine with the same wording:

• "w/ Auto Pay & 2-yr agmt + taxes, equip. charges & other fees. Up to 940/880 Mbps."

How can Verizon explain why one says "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo" while the other says $79.99 when both ads produce the same offer?

Anticipated behavior based on the ads:

Since the cost of the $79.99 add is reduced to $69.99 due to autopay as well as paperless (which isn't stated anywhere in the ad), it should then logically cause the "Only available in the City of Boston, $69.99/mo" ad to reduce from $69.99 to $59.99 due to autopay as well as paperless (which isn't stated anywhere in the ad)

@jonjones, no offense, I do sincerely appreciate your communication, but I feel like I'm repeating myself and we're not getting anywhere.  I'd really like to hear from @Verizon about what I've described as false advertising and why the anticipated behavior based on the ads (see above) shouldn't happen for me.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi IsThisRight,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes