Verizon is Breaking the Law
Kittymar

Have you received the notice advising you Verizon is going to share your private information unless you respond within 45 days? It's called the Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) Notice.     In fact, Verizon goes on to state in their notice that YOU HAVE GIVEN CONSENT by not responding.  This is very illegal.  I have contacted my state's Attorney General's office and I urge you to do the same.   I am sure Verizon is going to say they have the right to do this due to some obscure loophole in the law, but just wait until the judicial system rips them a new one.  

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is Breaking the Law
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

When did you get this notification? Is this regarding Wireless, TV, Data, or phone service? Was it by email, phone, or snailmail? Where did it come from? Have you contacted Verizon directly (Translation: NOT through any means listed in the notice) to verify whether it is legit?

Sounds fake to me.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Please see this link from the FCC's website for more accurate information -

http://www.fcc.gov/cib/consumerfacts/phoneaboutyou.html

Whether we agree with a corporation's policy or not, it's always a good idea to investigate before assuming that there is an illegal process in place. This policy, although it has been revised several times over the last decade has been in place for quite some time. In addition, it's not just a Verizon policy. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Kittymar

Go to the Verizon website and search: CPNI.  It's not fake.

0 Likes
Kittymar

You can put lipstick on a pig - but it's still a pig. No double speak about "accepted practice" and "all the corporations do it". Wrong is wrong - and even more - I'm saying it's illegal. But that's not for me or you to decide - we can leave that up to the state attorney general to decide.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

It's not illegal, that's what the link is about. It's the FCC's website. Since you apparently didn't feel like reading it, I'll give you the important bit:

If your telephone company or VoIP provider uses your customer information for other marketing, it must obtain your approval to do so. The company may request your approval orally, in writing, or electronically. The request must contain specific disclosures about how your company will use your customer information. The company can request your approval using one of two methods:

1) “Opt-Out” – Your company sends you a notice saying it will consider you to have given your approval to use your customer information for marketing unless you tell it not to do so (usually within 30 days.)

2) “Opt-In” – Your company sends you a notice asking that you expressly give it permission to use your customer information for marketing.

ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Well, I would never put lipstick on my pig... but my cow looks fantastic in it.  Smiley Indifferent

I can only hope that the attorney general does change something. I am tired of getting the exact same notices from my bank and credit union telling me I must opt out or they will share my info.  To me, if I want something I will request it thank you very much.

0 Likes
lalalamesss
Contributor - Level 1

You're confused. CPNI states the rep cannot give out ANY direct information about the client to anyone other than the client or anyone inside Verizon. CPNI is not a literal term; Customer Proprietary Network Information does not mean they can state your name, last four of your social, phone numbers to anyone OUTSIDE the company. This is not illegal, as you provide your name, social, birthdate, drivers licence, etc; to the rep you signed service with.

0 Likes