Verizon rep lied to a senior citizen
gb1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

My father is a senior citizen on fixed budget. He had a triple play service for $101.63 for two years. He did not watch TV or used home phone service much, but liked the idea of having all services available to him. When it was time to renew, I looked around and found an offer from Cable Vision for the triple play package for $85. My father wanted to check with Verizon to see if they could do something similar.  

Conveniently enough, he found a flyer in his building from a Russian speaking Verizon representative who could help (I don’t want to mention his name but it’s available upon request).  He asked a close friend to call and check what Verizon could offer. The sales rep sounded optimistic and promised the price would increase by $5 only for a total of $106.63 per month. Both spoke Russian, so there could be no chance of misunderstanding. When I looked at the email from Verizon renew service, I got suspicions since it mentioned a promotion till April 8th. I tried to check with Verizon via chat support on my fathers behalf and was told it looked that the price was correct and would stay for the duration of the contract. I still did not believe it, and asked my father to double check with Verizon sales representative who renewed his contract and undoubtedly got the commissions.  He did. The sales rep told him the auto generated email from Verizon was incorrect, so there was no need to worry.  

After one month, the bill that was supposed to be $106 turned into $136. The cheerful sales rep was not interested in figuring out why the price increased and instead became unreachable. What a surprise! I called Verizon support after learning about the phone tag game. I wanted to explain the situation believing that the company that misrepresented the terms of the contract would stand by their word and either keep the promised price or just allow canceling the service. Needless to say, I was dead wrong. The person on the phone was polite, but could not help. She told me that my father either had to pay what the bill stipulated or pay an early termination fee. She did not want to connect me to her supervisor. The situation felt surreal: a Verizon representative lies to get a new contract renewed and the other just covers him up. A senior citizen has to pay an extra $720 over the two year contract and nobody cares. I don’t know about you, but I will not want anybody to deal with Verizon after this at all. I knew Verizon’s customer service was not great, but I did not expect them to take advantage of senior citizens.  I don’t know who else can be contacted, so this situation can be straightened up. I will definitely tell all of my friends to be careful when talking to Verizon and not believe anything they are told.   Please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon rep lied to a senior citizen
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

They will most likely contact you by email, and you can then make your own arrangements.

View solution in original post

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

gb1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not yet get a privite message or an email regarding this matter.  Who should I contact?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Normal response time can be up to 2 business days.

gb1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would it be possible to send me a private message or email, so that I can give my cell phone#, so I can talk through this case?

Thanks 

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

They will most likely contact you by email, and you can then make your own arrangements.

gb1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. I can wait. No email or private message so far. I called Verizon and got a credit adjustment for the current month, so I paid the agreed upon price. I don't see that the contract price changed however. 

0 Likes