Verizon sold assets to Frontier?
Vumes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is what I just read. If I read that correctly, I will eventually end up paying my bill to Frontier? What the heck? Well, at least my contract is up in November.

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2009/verizon-to-divest-wireline.html

0 Likes
Re: Verizon sold assets to Frontier?
mardi
I also read in my local newspaper in OH that Verizon has sold it's phone services.  What does this to to my Verizon DSL?  I am on social security and cannot afford to spend more than I do.  Already my costs are at a minimum - I have no long distance phone service and the cheapest DSL I can get.  I have not had any TV service in 10 years - too expensive.  Does anyone have any more information?
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

everything that i have read suggests that verizion is selling some of its rural assets in a bunch of states to Frontier.  After the sale, frontier will be your service provider, not verizon.  There will be not relationship between the two.

in theory you should get better service because frontier is not as big of a company and is not cobbled together from various bell companies.  But, that's the theory.

Message Edited by MagicMan on 05-17-2009 02:36 PM
0 Likes
mardi
that's OK but at what price?  I did some quick checking and found that Frontier's services are 2-3 times as expensive as Verizon!!!!!
0 Likes
shadowmind
Enthusiast - Level 3
I I had frontier at my old apartment and i was not happy at all, slow DSL, Poor Customer Service, and Terrible SOund Quality on the phone. I Hope this isnt true.
0 Likes
Vumes
Enthusiast - Level 3

@shadowmind wrote:
I I had frontier at my old apartment and i was not happy at all, slow DSL, Poor Customer Service, and Terrible SOund Quality on the phone. I Hope this isnt true.

Agreed. I checked out the Reviews over on DSLR for Frontier, and they are horrible. What this essentially does now is open the door from Comcast to market the fact that Verizon will no longer be upgrading, AND the fact that since Frontier will be new to those areas, they won't be upgrading anything in the near future either. If you live in one of these affected areas, consider yourself forgotten, because I don't know that Frontier will know how to handle all of these new customers. Heck, they can't even handle the ones they have.

Well, like I said before, my contract is up in November, and although I would hate to leave Verizon, I will not be an experiment for Frontier. I have Fios for internet, phone, and TV and love the service. I wouldn't be surprised if Frontier dropped the TV which is a great Fios feature.

Comcast, if you're out there, please send me those neat little flyers with your specials like you do every week sometime in November so I can take advantage of some promo.

Message Edited by Vumes on 05-19-2009 04:49 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
There have been rumours for sometime that Verizon would get rid of many of the copper line services as the FIOS footprint expands. The copper is old and expensive to maintain when compaired to fiber. You can not fault them for wanting to sell these services to smaller companies that are looking to expand in that area. Cost to benefit ratio to install fiber in those rural areas just does not warrent the change to fiber. It is a shame for customers in those areas, but a simple fact of business. Like others have said a smaller company that expands, may even provide better service in those areas. Past results from Frontier are no guarantee of future performance.
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-24-2009 11:32 AM
Indiana

[edited] The quality of the service will be the same since the people doing the work won't be changing. [edited] The equipment providing won't be changing or the people. In many of these states Frontier is getting an existing company from the tech in the field to the region directors. It may be better to think of this as a resembling of the old GTE since when the dust settles Frontier will be 68% GTE/Verizon. I don't know how it will all wash out but, don't get hung up on a name change the people you see won't change.

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 05-28-2009 07:28 PM
0 Likes
DoubleG

I think Frontier is an awful company. I had them for many years. DSL had numberous billing errors, I was consistantly getting about 2.7 megs download and about 300 K upload.

One thing you should be aware of is Froniter Caps internet at 5 gigs download/upload per month. As far as I know they haven't enforced it.. but the terms still say they can disconnect you for unreasonable internet use.

“High Speed Internet Access Service

Customers may not resell High Speed Internet Access Service (”Service”) without a legal and written agency agreement with Frontier. Customers may not retransmit the Service or make the Service available to anyone outside the premises (i.e., wi-fi or other methods of networking). Customers may not use the Service to host any type of commercial server. Customers must comply with all Frontier network, bandwidth, data storage and usage limitations. Frontier may suspend, terminate or apply additional charges to the Service if such usage exceeds a reasonable amount of usage. A reasonable amount of usage is defined as 5GB combined upload and download consumption during the course of a 30-day billing period."

Also Frontier will not allow any other DSL providers come into the area.

As far as local phone services.. Customer Service Reps are very pushy to sell calling plans onto you..They have good prices like Unlimited calling for something like $50.00 a month. But it comes with a commitment, and early termination. By the way for your convience the comitment automatically renews if you forget to call them in time.  The Customer Service Reps are also very pushy to get you to sign onto Dish Network and internet. But when you go with Dish Network you have a 2 year commitment.

I called the other day to ask if I can drop down to just a barebone phone line, no features and no long distance. I got a Customer Service Rep telling me that was a dumb move and I should get unlimited calling. I told them that I am not home all the time, I have two cell phones with unlimited calling. I don't need to have all these features and calling plans on my land line. Just a basic phone to make local calls, and have the ability to dial 9-1-1.  I had to argue with this rep from India for 15 minutes.. He kept telling me over and over how bad and unreliable cellular phones are and I REALLY need to get a reliable phone. 

They are also calling me once or twice a week to ask if I am interested in Dish Network, and Internet.. I tell them I am not interested they keep going on and on about it.. I really dislike Frontier mostly because of Commitments, billing, and sneaky contract auto renewals. 

Message Edited by DoubleG on 06-16-2009 01:01 AM
Message Edited by DoubleG on 06-16-2009 01:06 AM
0 Likes
Rui
As a Former Verizon agent and current Fairpoint. I understand the troubles that are caused by transition to another provider.

Here is some information to assist.

Verizon terms of Service

http://www.verizon.net/policies/popups/tos_popup.asp

"Changes to Service or Features. Verizon reserves the right to change any of the features, Content or applications of the Service at any time with or without notice to you. This includes the portal services we may make available as part of the Service or for an additional charge."

"Prices and Fees; Billing. You agree to pay the fees applicable to your Service or Bundled Service, either on a monthly or prepaid basis, as applicable, and to pay: a) applicable taxes, b) surcharges, c) recovery fees, d) telephone charges, e) activation fees, f) installation fees, g) set-up fees, h) equipment charges, i) ETFs, and j) other recurring and nonrecurring charges associated with the Service plan you have selected. The taxes, fees and other charges detailed in a)-d) above may vary on a monthly basis. Surcharges and recovery fees are not taxes and are not required by law, but are set by Verizon and may change. You also agree to pay any additional charges or fees applied to your account, including interest and charges due to insufficient credit or insufficient funds. Non-recurring charges such as set up, activation and installation fees, and equipment charges, will be included in your first bill. Monthly Service and Bundled Service recurring charges will be billed one month in advance; any usage charges will be billed in arrears. Pre-paid pricing plans for Additional Services will be billed in advance. Based on your election and subject to our approval, Verizon or its agent will bill you directly, or bill your charge card or local Verizon telephone bill (where available). IF YOU ELECT TO BE BILLED ON YOUR VERIZON PHONE BILL, BY USING THE SERVICES YOU AGREE TO HAVE ALL SERVICE CHARGES INCLUDED ON YOUR PHONE BILL. IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO A BUNDLED SERVICE PLAN, THEN ALL OF THE SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE BUNDLED SERVICE PLAN MUST BE BILLED ON YOUR VERIZON PHONE BILL. Billing for Dial-up Service will automatically begin upon registration of your account. Billing for Broadband Services will automatically begin on the date provisioning of your Broadband Service is complete ("Service Ready Date"). Billing for Additional Services will begin on your Service Ready Date if you are also ordering a new Broadband Service. Otherwise, billing for Additional Services will begin upon submission of your order, unless otherwise noted. We may, at our election, waive any fees or charges. If you cancel any component of a Bundled Services plan, the monthly charges for the remaining services on your account will automatically convert to the applicable existing, non-discounted month-to-month service rate."

Latest revision Of Terms of Service

"From time to time we will make revisions to this Agreement and the policies relating to the Service. We will provide notice of such revisions by posting revisions to the Website Announcements page, or sending an email to your primary verizon.net email address, or both. You agree to visit the Announcements page periodically to review any such revisions. We will provide you with at least thirty (30) days notice prior to the effective date of any increases to the monthly price of your Service or Bundled Service plan (excluding other charges as detailed in Sections 8.1(a)-(d)); revisions to any other terms and conditions shall be effective on the date noted in the posting and/or email we send you. By continuing to use the Service after revisions are effective, you accept and agree to abide by them."

With This in the Terms of Service that all Verizon customers have to agree to. Verizxon resreves the right to lower raise or transfer billing and services. This includes PUC regulated regional ILEC transfers.

Frontier Terms of Service are very similar.

http://www.frontier.com/terms/

"Frontier will bill you monthly for all charges associated with the Service. Payment in full is due no later than the due date indicated on your bill. You are responsible for paying any taxes, surcharges, fees and assessments imposed from time to time in connection with these Services. If you have authorized payment for services or equipment by credit card or by debiting a bank account, no additional notice or consent is required before we invoice the credit card or debit the bank account for all amounts due to us for any reason. We may accept late payments, partial payments or any payments marked as being "payment in full" or as being settlement of any dispute without losing any of our rights under this agreement. You agree to pay costs and fees we incur to collect any unpaid balance from you including attorney's fees. A reasonable handling charge, not less than $10.00, will be assessed for all checks returned for insufficient funds, closed account or any other insufficiency or discrepancy. Interest at the rate of 1.5% per month (unless a lower rate is prescribed by law, in which event at the highest rate allowed by law) may be applied in accordance with Frontier's standard credit policy to any unpaid amount commencing 20 days after the statement date. This late payment fee will be in addition to and not in lieu of any other remedies we may have hereunder or under the law. If we do not receive notice of a payment dispute within 90 days after your receipt of a bill, the bill will not be subject to further challenge."

In the knoweledge of switching Service Providers your Contracts will transfer over. The only thing i would add is regarless if you change your services over to another company. Unless you go to cable your services would still be with Frontier the ILEC they in turn after the sale will own the Infrastructure. Your new service provider would be retaining your services thru frontier at a Wholesale rate to them.

My apologies about the transfer.

Best of Luck

Z991773

0 Likes