Wireless N Router still NOT available from Verizon
verizrus

Despite ubiquitous need for Wireless N for WiFi streaming via Play Stations and Blue Ray DVD players ( to get Netflix for example) Verizon just informed me ( both Tech Support and Sales) that they still do not provide Wirelss N capable Routers.

Incredible given market demand. Do Verizon competitors provide such routers ?

0 Likes
Re: Wireless N Router still NOT available from Verizon
CBWARDSR

sme 1 help me understand how i can b paying 4 top internet speeds but am only getting 4 yr old sp technology?  how can they get away w/this?  i chked my router and it is 'g' as well.

it just can't b right.

-b

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because that router is a rather complex piece of equipment ... not like the inexpensive consumer routers that you can buy.  It is a multi-VLAN capable, multi-format (Ethernet/MoCA/Wireless G) router/bridge.   It's the same reason I have 3-5 year old routers and switch gear in my enterprise infrastructure -- they aren't cheap to replace.  You use them until they reach the end of their servicable life.   Verizon more recently has been deploying Wireless N routers supposedly as supply depleats -- but for most people, none will every know the difference.   You really want to be paying any extra $15-$20/month to offset what the cost would be to have Verizon be able to replace your router every year with a new one?

This is an easy problem to solve really ... just buy a Wireless N access point (I bought one for less than $30), turn off the Verizon wireless, and use it instead.   Problem solved.

dmercer31
Enthusiast - Level 2

It sure would not cost that much to replace customers routers with an wireless N capable router IF the customer requested it, and that customer provided a legitimate reason for needing it (wireless in home networking).

As said before, most will never notice the difference, so the cost in this case is minimal. Instead I have to buy a router and an access point to get my ps3, tv, blu ray player, all hooked up three rooms away.

You have to take into consideration that Verizon provides the only internet service where the router cannot be moved to any coax outlet in the house, it remains where the installer placed the fiber box in the house, that is unless you have 100 feet of coax/cat5-6 cable running allong your floors.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your facts are a little off there ... the router can indeed be moved to any outlet in the house as long as you have a good digital cable plant (RG6). 

As for replacing the router, well that's probably about a $150 router you have sitting there because of the MoCA interface built into it.  The little requirement is what enables the STB's to interact with one another and gain access to the Internet -- which enables things such as the Media Manager and, I suspect, some other interesting capabilities in the near future if published reports are to be believed (anyone see the FiOS on an iPad article?).     While not every customer is likely to request a router, that's still a significant number and I'm willing to bet a good number of them will ask for it without actually needing it.   If they spec the right kind of router, it would be a Wireless-N dual-band which would drive the cost up even further.  Do the math and think about how that might impact your monthly rate if they need to recover that cost for every customer over a 12-24 month period.

Frankly, I'd rather buy the stuff myself -- and own it -- because it gives me the ability to configure my network however I choose.