3Mb power plan only reaching half the speed.
CrimsonRage78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just recently upgraded to the 3Mb power plan and have yet to get any speed above 1.5Mbps. I have used 2 separate wireless routers (versalink 327w and a Netgear dg834gt) with the same results. Both routers have been upgraded to the latest firmwares. The majority of the time I cannot even get a connection over 1Mbps, earlier tonight I was only getting 11KBps. I am really getting fed up with Verizon but I am stuck with them because of the contract. 

0 Likes
Re: 3Mb power plan only reaching half the speed.
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@CrimsonRage78 wrote:

I just recently upgraded to the 3Mb power plan and have yet to get any speed above 1.5Mbps. I have used 2 separate wireless routers (versalink 327w and a Netgear dg834gt) with the same results. Both routers have been upgraded to the latest firmwares. The majority of the time I cannot even get a connection over 1Mbps, earlier tonight I was only getting 11KBps. I am really getting fed up with Verizon but I am stuck with them because of the contract.

What speed do you get if you're hardwired to the router with wireless turned off?

0 Likes
CrimsonRage78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I get the same speeds when wired.

0 Likes
Jay-B

This is happening to me too Ive tried restarting the modem an all still no fix

0 Likes
CrimsonRage78
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is getting ridiculous, even at 1 or 2 in the morning, I'm only getting download speeds of 30KBps. I think verizon is doing it on purpose to force its users to switch to FIoS, which by the way Verizon has been calling me daily about.

0 Likes
paolojd
Enthusiast - Level 2

CrimsonRage78 Wrote:

This is getting ridiculous, even at 1 or 2 in the morning, I'm only getting download speeds of 30KBps. I think verizon is doing it on purpose to force its users to switch to FIoS, which by the way Verizon has been calling me daily about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had speed problems too, but I'm at a lower service level than you are.  I tried resetting the router, and viola the speeds returned to their specified levels.  Apparently, the router gets "indigestion" every once in a while.

I've had the same theory about why the service sucks.  By making the DSL experience lousy, they entice you to go to FIOS.  And until I told the marketing rep that unless they stopped calling and mailing me about FIOS that I was going to switch phone internet and TV to Comcast, I was getting contacted one way or another several times a week.

To be fair, the last time I had a DSL problem, I actually got to talk to the guy who they were going to send out to the house to check things.  For the first time EVER, I got a reasonable possible explanation for the intermittent DSL service I was getting.  He told me that the standard specification for residential telephone wiring, from the pole to the house was two wire gauge sizes largert than that which you typically find in older neighborhoods.  Now that makes sense. 

0 Likes
paolojd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Speaking of Firmware, can someone give me a quick and easy way to check if I'm up to date?  On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't upgrade, given that everything has been working smoothly lately - you know, don't rock the boat.

Smiley Happy

0 Likes