Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Actiontec router will not assign new computer an IP address

SOLVED
arockstory
Contributor
Contributor

Actiontec router will not assign new computer an IP address

Message 1 of 5
(13,582 Views)

I have three computers, a printer and a Wii successfully on the network with good internet connection. When I try to add a new computer and then also an Xbox 360, both devices are told the router will not assign them an IP address. A friend told me this is a sign the router is failing. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
arockstory
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Actiontec router will not assign new computer an IP address

Message 5 of 5
(13,529 Views)

All connections are wireless.

I connected the new computer to the router with an ethernet wire and the computer was able to see the internet, so it got an IP address from the router.  I then turned the computer off and disconnected the ethernet cable and restarted and it worked in wireless mode using the same IP address. I don't know why it couldn't get one initially wirelessly, but getting the computer to see the router thru the cable worked. Everything is working fine now. Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Telcoguru
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 2 of 5
(13,562 Views)
Did you change the Actiontec's settings to limit the amount of IP addresses it hands out?
arockstory
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(13,540 Views)
I didn't change anything on the actiontec. Do you think there is a setting that limits the number of IP addresses it will assign?
BrianMcD
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 4 of 5
(13,527 Views)

How do you have the current devices connected to the Actiontec (Wired or Wireless) ?

Are you connecting the new devices with a wired or wireless connection ?

If the new devices are wireless can you take one of the m and plug them into the Actiontec to see if it gets an address ?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
arockstory
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(13,530 Views)

All connections are wireless.

I connected the new computer to the router with an ethernet wire and the computer was able to see the internet, so it got an IP address from the router.  I then turned the computer off and disconnected the ethernet cable and restarted and it worked in wireless mode using the same IP address. I don't know why it couldn't get one initially wirelessly, but getting the computer to see the router thru the cable worked. Everything is working fine now. Thanks.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title