Can I upgrade to faster DSL at a savings?
llbeck
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having difficulty navigating through the plethora of Verizon www presentations and pages.  I have a somewhat simple question.  I have all my services except TV through Verizon and now may consider incrreasing my DSL speed, but only if it is a modest increase in cost.  Right now, I have:

landline service = $50

slow (750 kb) DSL = $17

cell-phone service = $40

for a monthly service charge of about $118

We changed residences a couple of years ago and a service rep said that I could increase my internet speed for a discount by bundling my services.  I declined after getting an affirmative answer to my question of whether my total bill would be higher.

I'm a computer geek but don't see a substantial difference in speed from my work computer at ~ 10 MB to my home computer at 750 kb for what I use the computer for.  But this week I installed a Roku box at home that enables streaming video and I am limited by the slow speed (support says that I need at least 1.2 MB).  I'm consideering sending the box back (30-day free trial) since as far as I can tell increasing my internet speed will cost at least $10/month and we don't watch enough movies to justify the monthly charge.  I may just so pay-per-view on TV or subscribe to Netflix.  The line describing my bundling savings is below.

Verizon Freedom Essentials   1 05/31/08 ESEE .00

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I upgrade to faster DSL at a savings?
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in the NY area and a few months ago I upgraded from 1.5 to 3 and ended up paying less; I tried to navigate thru all the options online but ended up using the online chat function and the assistance of a rep who walked me thru the various options so that I ended up with a "new" bundle but at a lower price ($10 a month less). I had to commit to 12 months of service but it was worth it!!

You might want to give that a shot. Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
firemandude
Enthusiast - Level 3

Price varies by market.  Give Verizon a call at 800-567-6789 to find out what the price increase would be and to see if you actually qualify for a speed increase.

Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in the NY area and a few months ago I upgraded from 1.5 to 3 and ended up paying less; I tried to navigate thru all the options online but ended up using the online chat function and the assistance of a rep who walked me thru the various options so that I ended up with a "new" bundle but at a lower price ($10 a month less). I had to commit to 12 months of service but it was worth it!!

0 Likes
Kenilworthkid
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're halfway there.  Check your bill and you'll see they just raised your price  $5

0 Likes
llbeck
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Techrookie wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  I just had the same experience.  I was about to assume that my slow DSL was as good as I could get without additional charges.  After reading your experience I checked deeper into the Verizon www site and found a page that mentioned savings by bundling services.  Checked into it and found that by simply bundling my land line and DSL I could save $20/month which coincidentally is the cost of upgrading from ~750kb to 3MB.  I did an on-line chat with one of the service reps to be sure there were no hidden charges and/or that this was an introductory offer that expired after a few months, and got in writing (cut/pasted our conversation to a Word document) that it was legit as advertized.  So I've now switched.

I complained about being eligible for these savings for years but never was informed of it, and their response of course is that it's up to me to find out what I'm eligible for.

As an aside - this is similar to what happened with my Dish satellite service.  A few months ago I found that I was paying double for part of my service for years.  I complained and they refunded my fee for the month due but not back months.  I claimed that the mistake was theirs and that I  was due to as far back as their records show.  They claimed that it is incumbant on me to check my billl every month.

I guess the take-home message in both of these situations is that you can't assume that the company is looking into your best interest/savings.

Anyway - thanks for your post.  Without it I probably would have continued under false assumptions.

Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm glad it worked out for you.

0 Likes