Re: Can't access some sites on DSL - Westell 37W or Verizon connection issue?
tnj2000

I am also in NJ......

I have also been having trouble with this same problem been going on a week now.  Actually started  out not being able to get email thru windows mail or outlook.  The incoming.verizon.net was failing getting emails. 

I have called tech support and they do not admit there is any problem with any service in the area except..some customers where having problems sending email through the outgoing ports.

They of course are going to monitor the lines for the next few days and then someone is suppose to get back to me.  The lines will probably come back fine since I can get online.......

The problem which they dont get is I cannot get on some websites but can get on other no problem.

I could not get my email on web mail either because the verizon site would not open for me for days!!!

I have on and off connection to my bank site which is very frustrating since I do some online banking.  Netflix I have not been able to get to for days which I have an account with.   I know the sites are not down because I had someone else check them for me.

I have another computer in the house that also cannot connect to the same sites ...which I told tech support ....

I have also notices I cant get onto usps.com .

Its very strange and random....I cannot figure it out and have scanned my computer for possible viruses , spyware.

But I would think since I am having trouble with two separate computers that are not networked the problem has to be verizon right ??????

I am ready to just pack it in..........This is too much...

I finally have been able to get my email through windows mail today....One thing better but for how long!!!

You are right maybe if everyone calls and talks to advanced tech support maybe we can get to the bottom of all this.....

0 Likes
ReadytoScream
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in Union County, NJ using a Verizon Wireless DSL Gateway GT704WG modem/router on a Dell desktop running on Vista, and I have been experiencing the same problem for about a week now.  I called Verizon initially last Wednesday night and, after going through the normal checks of my security and firewall settings, was told everything was fine.  I then spent hours on the phone with a Dell rep, who was ready to have me re-install my operating system.  The next day, I brought home my work laptop, which runs on XP, and found that any sites I couldn't access on the desktop, I couldn't access on the laptop.  Clearly, it is a connection problem.

I called Verizon back on Friday and after wasting an hour on troubleshooting that I knew would not work, the rep escalated it to engineering.  They could not locate the problem, so they scheduled a tech to come after 4:00PM today.  He arrived at 10:00AM, but fortunately my husband was home, so he let him in.  The tech, who told my husband he didn't know much about computers, couldn't figure out the problem so he ordered us a new router.  Apparently the tech doesn't know much about telephones either because when I came home, we had no dial tone on the landline.  I called Verizon and at first they told me that they couldn't send out anyone until Monday 5/18.  I called back and spoke to another rep who agreed to expedite the dial tone repair and send someone out tomorrow.

The real twist is that after the "repairman" left my house, we could access some of the sites that we couldn't get to, but now there are other sites that we had been reaching that are no longer accessible.  I had absolutely no problem with Verizon until they put FIOS in my town.  Now, I have had numerous DSL and phone issues in the past six months, yet they swamp me with mail and door-to-door salesmen trying to get me to switch to FIOS.  At this point, the only switching I will be doing will be to Comcast.

Boris_Baddenoff
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was able to get through to Verizon tech support a little while ago. I think that they are starting to take this problem seriously. I explained that it was a much larger problem then just my computer. I tried to get them to go to the forums and take a look at this thread (it now seems like there are a few other threads related to the same problem) but apparently they are restricted as to what they can access (I really think he made an honest try). I read him some of the posts. He put me on hold and made some calls. Eventually he came back on the line and admitted that there appears to be a problem on the Verizon side. He promised to call me back with an update. I patiently but firmly told him I would not get off the phone unless he gave me his contact information. I’m now keeping my fingers crossed and will post again with any new developments.

mimold
That's great news, please keep us posted. I spend several hours on the phone but when I finally got transfered to an American supervisor I had to leave for work 😞
0 Likes
NJcomputerUser

I have the same problem here in Essex county NJ.  So does my neighbour down the street.  I cannot connect to many sites. I cannot send any e-mail.  The problem can be easily seen with verizon DSL service when using tracert in the command shell - there is usually some random problem with packet loss in the area. 

Hopefully someone in verizon will take notice.   After calling tech support, I got several responses from "It will go away in a week" to "You should re-install windows."  

0 Likes
luckyrabbit1

I am in Bethesda, MD.  DSL connection was fine this am, but when I got home @ 830pm, couldn't connect.   Lights on modem seem to be ok, but when i open a browser, get a no Internet connection message.  Have done everything, turn modem off/on, turn computer off/on, the works.  Doesn't help.  I'll call Verizon in the AM.  

Am typing this from my office....where I had to return to get work done I was hoping to do by logging in from home. 

0 Likes
emnfelix
you dont know how happy i am i found this forum, i tought i was going insane in the menbrane. i am in the jersey city, nj area and i am also having this problem. i have westell versalink 327w. this problem is so frustating, i can only acces half of the internet pages i want to go to and the list of pages i can acces is ever changing. at one point i can go to google and wikipedia but not facebook or youtube, 15 minutes later google is now down but youtube is now accessible, and it just keeps changing and changing. i hope somebody gets an update on this problem soon.
0 Likes
tnj2000

I am in Union County NJ and I thought I was going crazy also.  Nice to know I am still sane !

I have the GT704WG gateway. 

My email problem so far is fixed.... When I was on the phone with the advance tech support we checked my outlook/windows mail setting and deleted and re entered my password and all of a sudden it was working.  Very strange ....The tech said that my password saved was wrong but I havent touched those settings in a very long time plus the email didnt work on my other computer in the house that I have not used in months.  I guess I will have to delete and retype the password on that one too and see.

My web browsing is still the same very strange still cant access netflix...or look at some other sites especially clicking on links in google.  And it changes back and forth for me also....But I have not been able to access netflix at all for a week now.  Real bummer since I have an account ...Going to have to use a friends computer and get on.

I hope all of our problems get fixed soon....

0 Likes
CharlieE
Enthusiast - Level 1

Boris,

I applaud you for taking my suggestion!  It looks like that they are finally taking this seriously now.  While I am not in NJ, I AM in NY...upstate though.  I see that one poster from MD is now having trouble?  It wouldn't hurt to call and do what Boris did.  I'm glad that hopefully everything will be settled for you all and I am crossing my fingers that this problem doesn't come my way.

0 Likes
MrBigPants

I too have been having the same problem, which started last friday night, when i tryed to use thunderbird for my email client, i was able to download my mail but found it impossable to send anything until i changed my IP address. 

Right after that it all started, pages weren't loading, or would time out, though download speed while watching moves slightly slower but otherwise were fine, .

I have been in tech buisness for over 10years with five accounts around Rahway  and linden NJ all of them Verizon customer, all with exactly the same issue.

So Last night i contacted tech support, which took one hour btw...  online chat, becuse the phone number was impossable, at 1am, and got a good guy who told me to contact tech support by phone.?!?!  anyway one hour later i got a guy that basically told me my modem was bad.

I tryed to inform him of the issue my customers were having, but he sounded as if i had just woke him up, the dude hung up on me by accident once, then tryed blaming me.  WFT!!

As far i'm concerned, this issue is far greater, that is affecting others in the area.  Is their some Verizon engineer that could realy resolve this?  anyone got any idears.

0 Likes