Can't access some sites on DSL - Westell 37W or Verizon connection issue?
blessens
I've been experiencing a problem with Verizon's DSL service for the last few days. I have a brand new Dell Dimension with Windows XP hooked up a Westell 327W router (hard - wired) and other laptops running both Vista and XP. All of a sudden, all the users on the same network can't access certain sites. I initially uninstalled AVG on my computer thinking that may have something to do with blocking these websites (aa.com, orbitz.com), and then I realized that some of the laptops don't have any anti-virus programs and still have the same problem. The only thing in common is that they run on the same network off of the same router. Which is when I called Verizon, only to hear from them that they don't block websites, and that the problem is something related to the computer. When I tried explaining that other users also have the same problem (and it is only within the last 5 days), they still won't accept that something is wrong with the router/DSL connection. I checked the firewall settings for the router and they are turned off. Can someone please help me? Am I wrong in assuming that the problem is on Verizon's side?
0 Likes
Re: Can't access some sites on DSL - Westell 37W or Verizon connection issue?
mimold
 I have the exact same problems, which started a few days ago. Suddenly it seems I can't acess some websites and there is no explanation that I can find. I have a Westell 327W. Earlier today I couldn't even access google.com, but now I can. It seems that sometimes I can access a particular website, but not all the time. I really hope someone could figure out what is causing these problems.
0 Likes
swt242

Me too.

I have faught with foregin call centers all last week till I finally got transfered to an American this weekened. The person I talked to said he was tasking my central office with fixing this and said it could take as long as till Monday. Since its Monday as I write this Im expecting this to continue even longer.

Is this only a local outage by any chance? Might be why its been left unrepaired so long. I am in the Jersey City area. What about you two?

0 Likes
mimold
I'm very close, in Harrison, NJ
0 Likes
swt242

My central office dismissed the repair request. However I have now been informed that they are reporting an outage within my IP range related to these problems. But I was given no repair time estimate.

If you cant get though the foreign tech guys ask for their supervisor then tell him you want to be transfered to an American supervisor. Say you have been though all the troubleshooting and refuse to waste time with them anymore. Only the foreign supervisors can escalate you to an American call center. 

0 Likes
chefbear
I am having a similar issue with the Westell 6100f and am in NJ....
0 Likes
gscoon
It sucks that we're all experiencing the same issue, but it does feel good to know that I'm not going crazy.  If I had to clear my cache one more time, I woulda flipped.  I told them a million times that it was a network issue....
0 Likes
hotwire
My experience is an exact replica. no solution. wasted hours with the tech support guy only to be told "verizon doesnt block sites"
0 Likes
Boris_Baddenoff
Enthusiast - Level 1
I appear to be having the same problem (erratic browser connections) as you guys. I was speaking with a tech support person last night who after having me replace Internet Explorer with Firefox (and still having the same issues) told me that the problem was with my computer. I reside in North Jersey as well. This morning, while riding to work I was speaking with a bus-mate and told him about my internet problem. He lives a few blocks away and told me that he has been experiencing the same thing for about a week and that he knows of another person with the same issue. So it appears to me that it’s some sort of Verizon problem. I tried to recap things and send them an e:mail a little earlier, but I think it fell on deaf eyes. I will try to call them later this evening and will report back to this forum tomorrow. 
0 Likes
CharlieE
Enthusiast - Level 1
What one or more of you should do, is call Tech Support and actually read them this thread.  Get their email and send it or give them the link to it.  It is so obvious that Verizon DSL doesn't want to take responsibility for this.  How many people in New Jersey are experiencing this trouble?  More than enough to show me that it's the location and not any of your computers or anything else that they are saying.
0 Likes