Can't connect to email server through Outlook 2007
megasolo
Enthusiast - Level 1

First off i want to say that I was able to connect through outlook the first day I set it up, the next day it wouldn't work and hasn't worked since. The error I get when sending and receiving is...

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP). 

my settings in outlook 2007

Account type: POP3

incoming server: incoming.verizon.net

outgoing mail (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net

my user id and password set. (i've checked this a billion times it's correct)

under more settings i have checked

"my outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"

and "require secure password authentication (SPA)"

I get the following error when sending emails: 

Sending reported error 0x80042109: outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. if you continue to receive this message, contact your serrver administrator or internet service provider. 

I swear it looks like my computer is blocking it. I"m running windows XP with Norton Internet 2005. Norton is running the Firewall so I checked to make sure outlook was blocked and it WAS set to automatic, i changed to permit all. I'm at a loss I don't know what else to check any assistance would appreciated. 

Thanks to All. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't connect to email server through Outlook 2007
megasolo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion.

I found out what the problem was. It was Norton. when I turned off email scanning, my outlook stated sending and receiving again. 

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
How about this...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302357

?
0 Likes
megasolo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion.

I found out what the problem was. It was Norton. when I turned off email scanning, my outlook stated sending and receiving again.