can't get the port forwarding right; confusing Verizon interface
jsk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I need to port forward but I don't understand how to do the custom setup. I followed the directions given by verizon but still I am not able to get the port open. Lets say I want the port TCP 80 open for a game, after setting it up the port is still closed. This is really frustrating all because **bleep** verizon changed the port forwarding set up.

Can someone tell me what the settings I would have to choose to get a TCP port and a TCP/UDP port open? Use any port as an example for me. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: can't get the port forwarding right; confusing Verizon interface
frique
Enthusiast - Level 2

Port 80 might be a bad idea for you to try. I recommend a port around 50000, but not that one exactly. Most of the low number ports are already used for internet specific tasks. If the game permits you to change the port, switch it to something higher and try it. It may be that the port you are trying to use is already allocated for another process. I have also read several forums about port forwarding that say it is useless unless you have a static IP address. A different option might be Port Triggering. That does not require a static IP address. It opens the port when you send information over it and leaves it open for a period of time to receive an answering message from another computer. And watch out if you have a seperate wireless router. It can also block the port. You may need to go into your router and forward the port in it as well. I hope that helps a bit.

0 Likes
jsk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Port 80 was just an example i used. I can't get any port that I need open. I tried ones in the 10k to 20k range, 50k to 60k range, but the ports still don't open.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

The port you said was closed.

That is according to what port checker?

0 Likes
jsk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was using the pfportchecker program from portforward.com

I even tried another internet checker just to see if the pf checker was not working. Same thing, the port is closed. I tried other ports too.

Here is what I did to set up the port:

I selected TCP, gave the global port start/end, and the base host port. I selected dynamic and I saw that it said "creating port forward rule."

I used to be able to do this the way it was described on portforward.com but now verizon changed the router settings page and its different.  Any ideas?

Thanks ( the forum seems to be very touchy on language, I didn't even use a 4 letter curse word)

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

a common mistake everyone does with port forwarding is that they specify a source port.  

so

don't do that.

set it up as Any -> 5000

or whatever port number you want.

if you're doing port forwarding which is what it sounds like you are trying to do.  and don't use 80.   not "all" areas can use port 80 on verizon's network.   so you might be in an area that can not use it.

0 Likes
jsk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used 50000 to 60000 and set the base to a port between that. Is that the problem? I had been able to do it this way in the past but now I can't.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hint/Clue:

#1 In your router, select host.

#2 Either select the computer's IP Address (or type it in).

#3 As need be: Select the serice if it already exist.

0 Likes
jsk
Enthusiast - Level 2

What do you mean by "select host"? Where is that located?

I had set the rules and had the service selected. The new rule was added to the main profile, under the one that was always there (IPSEC ALG).

I saw that when I add a new rule there is a place to select Host or Dynamic. I tried the Host this time and put my IP and I got an error:

Access Error: Page not found

cfg_insertRow, cfg_deleteRow or cfg_commitTransaction failed: Rejected input of 'undefined' for table column 'portMapIndex'

Still closed ports.

0 Likes
TopGun
Enthusiast - Level 3

This sounds like a firewall issue you must tell the firewall its okay to open a port.

0 Likes