Cannot connect to DSL Modem
moordenaar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Westell Modem that is working fine and a desktop that is connecting to the internet.  I also have a laptop that I want to connect to this modem via the network cable.   Both machines are Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

The laptop will connect to the internet on the LAN at my job, but cannot connect at all at home.  LAN properties and TCP/IP settings are the same on both machines (Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically)  I am running a firewall on the laptop (ZoneAlarm) but disabling it does not allow me to connect at home.

Like I said, the laptop will connect to the internet on the LAN, so I know that there is no hardware problem and the cable and modem are both good too.  I am baffled.  Contacting Verizon Support has proven to be a waste of time because they had no clue what I was talking about.  They actually told me to go out and buy a newer version of Windows!  That was their solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look to change some settings or any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Cannot connect to DSL Modem
moordenaar
Enthusiast - Level 2
Forgot to say, the modem is a Westell A90 which is pretty old but I am sure it works good.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 With the computer that can get online..

#2 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, And DNS Server(s) on your computer.

#3 Since you said what OS and Version you, use...

a) Go to Start

b) To run

c) Type in cmd and press enter.

d) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#4 Is one of the IP Address(es) on your computer the same as the IP Address that is displayed on http://www.whatsmyip.org/ ?

Please for privacy/security reasons. Only answer my question. DO NOT post the IP Address that you saw at that site.

The only reason it would safe/ok to post that IP Address, is because you want other users from the net to connect to your computer. For example if you were trying to host a game..

^^^
0 Likes
moordenaar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, my dynamic IP address on the machine able to connect matches the one shown at http://www.whatsmyip.org/ .

You didn't mention it, but I tried an ipconfig/all on the laptop and discovered that it does not find a DNS server or default gateway and is assigned that 169.x.x.x IP address.

I wonder if I used a static DNS server address if that would fix this?  I've never heard of Obtain DNS server addresses automatically not working on DSL.  If so, which one should I use?  The one my good connecting computer has?

Is Open DNS an option here?

0 Likes
moordenaar
Enthusiast - Level 2
I forgot to say that the LAN Status showed connected on the laptop with the DNS problem and that it was connnected at 100 mbps.  I tried an IPCONFIG/RELEASE and got some kind of message that it could not be released because it was binded or something like that.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
On the computer that has Internet Access.

Are you on PPPoE or DHCP?

To help tell if it is is DHCP or PPPoE..

Go to

URL: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,940187;root=news,61;mode=flat#940187

Tittle/Location: DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums » Tech and Talk » OS and Software » Broadband Tweaks » PPPoE but don't know which software?

And look for the signs that you are using PPPoE.

Note: You do not need to tell me which PPPoE Software that you use. I do not care for that info...

Hint/Clue: Windows 2000 is also called Win2K.

^^^
Message Edited by dslr595148 on 08-19-2009 03:10 PM
0 Likes