Cannot get OpenDNS to work with D-Link DSL-2750B router
mbrowncog

Hi,

I have Verizon DSL with a D-Link DSL-2750B router. I set up DNS settings to use OpenDNS, but it won't work.

I opened a support case with OpenDNS and they cannot figure it out. They said everything is configured correctly.

Has anyone else gotten this to work? Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Cannot get OpenDNS to work with D-Link DSL-2750B router
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi mbrowncog,

Have you checked your Network Connections TCP/IPv4 Properties on the computer to make sure that you have the PC set to obtain a DNS server address automatically?  If you have DNS server addresses entered manually in this setting they will override the DNS settings configured in your router.

0 Likes
mbrowncog

I made sure that my PC is set up to get a dynamic IP address. Is there some way that Verizon prevents the router from determining which DNS server to use, bypassing the setup in the router?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

The IP address setting is not a factor as far as DNS preferences are concerned.  Please make sure that the DNS server option, "obtain DNS server address automatically," is selected.  If you select "use the following DNS server addresses" and enter addresses in the form, those addresses will override your router's DNS settings for that computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

0 Likes