Cannot make connection to DSL modem
Helium21
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Westell 2100 DSL modem that works with my original computer (Dell XPS Gen5)

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop that I am trying to set up to connect to the Internet through this same mode.

I get "Limited or no connectivity. No network address assigned" errors when I try to set up the connection using my DSL installation CD.

The integrated NIC works fine, the Ethernet cable is good, & the laptop had no trouble connecting to a LAN a couple of weeks ago.

Device manager shows no problems.

XP SP3

I spent 30 minutes with Verizon support yesterday with no resolution. The best the guy could come up with is that I "might" need to get a router and connect it to the modem and then connect both computers to the router.

What's going on?

Is a router the best solution?

I don't want to spend money on one just to find out that it doesn't work as intended.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot make connection to DSL modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know about your modem. It may be dumb modem (does not do NAT) or if it is, it is a modem combo that in bridge mode.

@Helium2 wrote:

So I have to wait for the IP addy to expire before I can do a new connect?

That would be correct with all networking equipment turned off (including the computer). This unless you know how to spoof/clone the MAC Address on your version Windows (Which most people do not know how to do).

@Helium2 wrote:

I've found a cheap Linksys wired router and should have it by Wednesday.

While your modem maybe a modem combo in bridge mode, good.

Since most Linksys routers have four LAN ports - this way, you can have more than one computer at the same time without needing to use ICS or installing a proxy server/configuring the proxy server so that only users from the inside can connect to this proxy, and configuring any clients to use the proxy server..

@Helium2 wrote:
Once the router is set up I just need to run the Verizon install CD, correct?

I do not know but I would think: You do not need to unless you want to install their software and you want it to configure your client(s) for you. This means your e-mail client, news client, web client (more commonly known as a web browser).

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 With the original computer (Dell XPS Gen5) online check the networking stuff of the computer.

This means the:

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Server(s).

As how to do this, for example if you are on Windows..

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter.

In the new window, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 Compare that IP Address to the IP Address as shown at http://www.portforward.com

--

Are they same or different?
0 Likes
Helium21
Enthusiast - Level 1

The IP address on my GEN5 matches the IP shown on http://www.portforward.com.

I ran IPconfig on the laptop yesterday and it showed no connection and an IP address of 168 or 169.xx.xxx.xx

The Verizon tech said this was an invalid IP address. (you think?)

I haven't checked but I believe I get  a new IP address every time I reboot with a valid connection, don't I?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, I thought so.

Your modem is in full bridge mode.

I would like to know more about the computer/connection that is handling the public IP.

If you do not use Windows XP, please post.

If you use Windows XP: Go to Start -> Connect to -> Show all connections.

If that exist. If that does not exist, then go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.

At that screen, is there any broadband connections listed - that says something about WAN MiniPort (PPPoE)?

For example, here is a screen shot from my computer.
If not, you are in a DHCP area.

#1 Go get a router.

#2 In the router's screen will be a screen where you spoof/clone the MAC Address, spoof/clone the MAC Address of your computer.

For example if the router that you got was the Linksys WRT54G, the screen will look something like this.

Hint: The MAC Address is called the physical address in ipconfig /all.

Any questions as how to do this with the router that you get, please ask..

Message Edited by dslr595148 on 05-12-2009 04:30 PM
Helium21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the help.  Smiley Happy

I have XP

There are no "Broadband" connections shown.

All I have are the Local Area connection that names my NIC (and is my DSL connection) and three 1394 connections (#4, #5, & #6) that show as connected but no data is being sent or received. ( I don't understand those).

No PPPoE.

Router, huh?

OK.

I just need something simple & inexpensive (currently unemployed). Do you have suggestions?

H

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Depending on the features of the router, where you buy it, and how you buy it.. Most of them are under/about $40.

Without buying anything....

#1 Turn off your computer and the modem.

#2 Leave both off for a least two hours.

#3 While you are waiting.

a) Disconnect the Dell XPS Gen5 from the modem.

b) Connect the Dell Inspiron 1150 to the modem.

#4 After you have waited for a least two hours, now turn the power back on again.

And you should be back online...
Message Edited by dslr595148 on 05-14-2009 04:52 PM
0 Likes
Helium21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Interesting.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know about your modem. It may be dumb modem (does not do NAT) or if it is, it is a modem combo that in bridge mode.

@Helium2 wrote:

That would be correct with all networking equipment turned off (including the computer). This unless you know how to spoof/clone the MAC Address on your version Windows (Which most people do not know how to do).

@Helium2 wrote:

While your modem maybe a modem combo in bridge mode, good.

Since most Linksys routers have four LAN ports - this way, you can have more than one computer at the same time without needing to use ICS or installing a proxy server/configuring the proxy server so that only users from the inside can connect to this proxy, and configuring any clients to use the proxy server..

@Helium2 wrote:

I do not know but I would think: You do not need to unless you want to install their software and you want it to configure your client(s) for you. This means your e-mail client, news client, web client (more commonly known as a web browser).

Helium21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well the router showed up a few hours ago.

I connected it and got into the configuration access.

1st I tried cloning the MAC address but that didn't do anything as far as connecting to my DSL.

I set the router for a static IP and put in the IP for my XPS. 

Bingo.

I connected the laptop and it connected immediately.

An hour and a half later I lost all internet with both computers.

I went back into the router config and then re-set it for auto-IP and it found the new IP address from Verizon and all is well.

I hope that setting the router for auto-IP will allow it to automatically obtain the new address every couple of hours.

Thanks for your help.

Your were very informative and patient with this DSL n00b. Smiley Wink

I couldn't have gotten this info (all bundled in a nice neat package) anywhere else.

0 Likes