Cant ever connect with a password on any devices. Only can connect with wps push button.
coalminer2

I have had this issue since I have had wirless service in my house.  Verizon support said I needed a new router. I just hooked it up and the exact same thing. I reconnect all my wirless devices ( dish sling and hopper, Kindle fire tablet, and my android Att phone. They would not connect manually ( never would before with old router and wont with my new router) I had to use WPS push button on these devices and they connect immediatley. WHY? My real problem is I am connceting wifi security cameras and they wont connect with a correct password either and it DOES NOT have a WPS push button feature and I have to connect Manually but my router refuses to accept a correct password? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Cant ever connect with a password on any devices. Only can connect with wps push button.
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the value in your router.  Most cases they are passphrases and are case sensitive.  Other cases they are hex characters (64 if you are using wpa2 as recommended) and only values 0-9,a,b,c,d,e,f and should not be case sensitive.  You also must make sure you have the same protocol set (WPA2 the recommended one, WPA(aes or tkip), or WEP,).

One bad case I've seen is where the devices only accept the 64 hex (256 bit) key.  Passphrases are used to create a 64 bit key.  In this case you need to look for a converter.

0 Likes
Re: Cant ever connect with a password on any devices. Only can connect with wps push button.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sometimes when using WPS, especially if a router was previously running unsecured, the use of WPS will change or set a new WPA Passphrase to the router. As suggested above, definitely log into the router and double check the key that is presented in the web administration. While you're there, it wouldn't hurt to go into the router and make sure it is only set to use "WPA2" encryption.

0 Likes