changing wifi password BUT will not work because....
frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I cannot change the password on my router (actiontec) because it says the connection to the site is not private. I will add the user name and password, hit enter, and it will go to a "bad request" or nothing at all. I cannot override. I cannot do it on a private (incognito window), I clear my cache, I disabled my anti-virus. I was on verizon chat last night for 2 hours and even he couldn't figure it out.  The verizon chat man said he will ask his associates and keep my window open for 24 hours but really Am I stuck with this long password?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: changing wifi password BUT will not work because....
frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I replied last night but apparently again I did something wrong cause it didn’t post😐 but anyway good news I got in! Apparently I must have created a password last year when I got this router (I do not remember this) signed in with admin and that password ( and believe me it was a total guess) automatically I went on another page to Google this further came back to original page and it was open! I stared at it for awhile wondering what did I type in? lol.  It’s all good! I wanted to Thank everyone for trying to figure this out more helpful than Verizon chat!

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, you're talking to other customers here.

First, know that the Actiontec routers (MI424WR) are really old and should be retired as soon as possible.  They are no longer supported by Verizon or Actiontec, and no longer receive security updates.  I'm actually surprised Verizon support tried to help you.

If you have Verizon TV services, you've two options to replace the router.  One is to rent or buy a G3100 from Verizon.  $15/month rent or $299 purchase.  It's their latest router with WiFi-6 capabilities.  It's great if you want the fastest WiFi router Verizon supports.  If you'd rather not spend this much, pickup a used G1100 online.  They can be had for well under $50, are fully supported by Verizon(*), have a guest WiFi network, and provide plenty fast WiFi even for gigabit service (300-500Mbps WiFi).

If you don't have Verizon TV service, you can use any router you like.  You may have to switch your ONT from coax WAN to Ethernet WAN, but that's an easy and free process from Verizon.  You'll just have to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router.  Of course, Verizon won't provide any support for non-Verizon routers.

If you still want to use your old, unsupported, insecure Actiontec you can try a few things.  First, when you connect to it and get the "insecure" warning from your browser, click on the option to ignore it and proceed.  This should allow you to access it even though it has a self signed certificate.  If you're still having issues, try a factory reset on the router.  This will return all settings to default and set all passwords to the values on the label.

Note that if you get a new Verizon router (G3100 or G1100), they too will present a self-signed certificate to your browser, which will result in the "insecure" warning.  You can ignore it.  You can also configure these routers through the Verizon app or web site, so you'll have other options to change the WiFi password.

(*) Be sure to purchase a G1100 with Verizon firmware, as there are some units with Frontier firmware and Verizon logos out there.  They are not supported by Verizon.  Make sure the seller discloses the firmware and has a fair return policy.

frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you, but after typing this I realized this was a FIOS thread, so not sure if this answer will still be good, I tried doing this in high speed internet thread, but got taken down since it was a duplicate. The actiontec was actually sold to me by Verizon just last year. I have DSL no fios in my part of town unfortunately. The only other option is back to cable.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, that makes more sense.

While I'm not familiar with the current DSL modem/routers, it's very likely it has a self signed certificate.  These cause all modern browsers to present the security warning screen.  Simply choose the option that says you accept the risk and you should be able to login and do what you want.  If that still doesn't work, post some screen shots and someone might be able to figure out what is going on.

I'll also ask the moderators to move this thread to the DSL board.

frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That’s the problem. No option to bypass. I hit enter and it comes back to the same page asking for ID and password.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Post some screenshots.

frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

 this is before

0 Likes
frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

 This is when I type the info I hit enter then it goes back to the first screen

0 Likes
frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Picture not showing up?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please be patient as pictures are being approved by the moderators.

Those are HTTP Basic Auth dialogs. I never used an Actiontec router. What revision do you have?