Re: changing wifi password BUT will not work because....
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My church still has an Actiontec GT784WNV modem & Verizon DSL service (to discount what we pay for our POTS lines). If this is what you have, I can attempt to log into the unit with one of our computers and see what happens. I haven't tried to change the password though.

It has been a while since I last logged into the modem. My notes indicate that I didn't see much in the way of adjustable settings.

If I can't find the default U&P, I'll have to scan the Internet to get them again.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you take a screen shot instead of a picture?  That will be clearer, not rotated, and will show the entire browser window.  In particular, I'm curious if the browser "lock" icon is present, and if so, any warnings that go with it.  That will indicate if self-signed certificates are involved. 

If you don't have a good screen shot tool on your Windows computer, try https://getgreenshot.org

You can also google for various ways to perform screen shots on any device.

That said, the pictures you posted appear to be past any browser certificate warnings.  I'd still like to check, though.  A full screen shot may reveal other details that can help the folk here figure out what is going on.

frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I get back from work I will try that link for the screen shot. I did originally try for the screenshot on my computer but a message appeared saying I was not authorized to place a photo (or something like that).

But anyway, nothing to bypass. No warnings. I enter admin and password and the screen comes back blank. No error messages, nothing.  (If I type the password incorrectly like lower case an error message does appear).

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmm... unlikely it's a certificate issue.  I'm almost stumped.  Have you tried a factory reset?  Other computers?

Did you mention the modem/router model?  If it's the same model dexman has, maybe they will be able to help you.  I haven't touched DSL gear in a well over a decade.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My church has a Verizon Actiontec GT784WNV.

Using our Microsoft Surface Pro 3, I was able to log into the unit, navigate to the tab that contains the option to change the Administrative password and complete the process (remembering to change it back at the end 🙂).

I took a series of screen shots if anyone is interested in seeing what they look like. One of them is of the password change page.

The bottom right of the screens say "Copyright (c) 2011 Actiontec Inc. All Rights Reserved".

frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

thats exactly what I have. I use the password that is on the label in the back of the router. That password is good because my phone etc. is using that password. If I logged in using the password, "password" it won't work will it?  When I googled before, there were different IP addresses to try. Is that worth a try. Like I said, mine doesn't do a thing. Lets me type in admin, and password, I hit enter, then it goes back to the screen waiting for me to type something in.  I also do not have another computer to try this on.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you say "that password is good because my phone etc. is using that password," do you mean they are using it for WiFi or to login to the admin panel?  In many cases, the WiFi password is different than the admin password.

Some quick googling suggests the default web UI password for DSL modem/routers could be the serial number.  You could try that.

Dexman: can you comment on if the device you use has different WiFi and web UI passwords?  If so, what is shown on the label?

frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK I have been using the wifi password as my password. But I know the default password is  "password" and no that doesn't work. I have tried that in lower case, upper case, and there is a pin number I tried that. I do get a result though. It says,  BAD REQUEST but at least its something lol. My wifi password just does nothing.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi gs0b!

• I'm not quite clear on the question, so, I'll explain the router. The unit, like the FiOS counterparts has different passwords for WiFi and administrative access.
  • I enter 192.168.1.1 in the Edge browser, populate the default Username and Password which lands me on the router's homepage.

The default administrative username and password are not listed on the router. I found it by scanning Google. 🙂

frannyz1
Enthusiast - Level 3

and scanning google will tell you its admin and password....which do not work for me.

I guess the only other thing is a reset, which I actually did 2 days ago before trying this password thing and as you see it didn't help me. Guess I'm stuck with this long password 

0 Likes