Re: Confusion over max DSL speed for my address
Razz037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Eric, 

I went through this same type of problem with Verizon for 2 1//2 years. They would give me a higher speed then a couple of months later they take it away saying you aren't provisioned for it.

Verizon's DSL is a terrible service which they are trying to get rid of. 

Good luck.

0 Likes
tae111
Enthusiast - Level 3

It would be nice if they did get rid of it. Unfortunately here in NJ they have stopped expanding FIOS. They got about 7 miles away from me a few years ago but stopped. I have called Verizon and they say they have no immediate plans to continue so it's DSL for me. It seems like Verizon is not interesed in that service anymore but here they don't give you any other choice.

0 Likes
eric212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I agree that DSL is not my favorite internet connection.

I've had cable internet through Charter in the past at a different address and it wasn't completely trouble free either, but still better than DSL overall Iin my opinion. For right now my DSL is working fine, and I am happy with 7 mbps, if this issue hadn't been resolved I'd be heading over to Comcast, but for right now I'll leave well enough alone.

I do see DSL disapearing in the not too distant future though, the cable companies can offer much faster speeds for a comperable price. Verizon of course knows this and isn't investing more into a service that is growing obsolete. Their bread and butter seems to be on the wireless side these days.

If I were building a new house I don't think I'd even bother to wire it for telephone.... as long as I was in an area that has a strong cell signal. I have a land line now but still end up using my cell 90% of the time anyway...

0 Likes