Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Connecting Westell 7500 to computer in room with no phone jack

sherri37
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting Westell 7500 to computer in room with no phone jack

Message 1 of 7
(10,838 Views)
I'm hoping someone can answer my questions here because the support did not have the answer.  I ordered new dry loop wireless service and was told I would not need a phone jack in the room my computer was located.  I received my package today and all of the instructions show that it does have to be hooked into a phone jack and the computer.  My office does not have a phone jack and I am hoping someone can give me an option other than installing a phone jack.  Help please!!!  Anyone???
6 REPLIES 6
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Connecting Westell 7500 to computer in room with no phone jack

Message 2 of 7
(10,825 Views)
A Google search: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=dry+loop+services&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=dry+loop+services&aq=0&oq=Dry+loop+service&fp=_rpp-4zAm3I

One of the results: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/70896

-
They lied to you.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

MagicMan
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 3 of 7
(10,820 Views)

I'm missing something here....i don't know what 'dry loop wireless service' is.  Dry loop dsl is copper wire dsl from the central office to the premises.  With that you need to plug the modem into something.  Someplace there has to be a twisted pair coming into the building and be terminated, hopefully with a jack to plug your modem/router into.  You can go wireless from the modem/router to the computer but you have to have a terminiation of the dry loop into the modem/router....at least as I understand dry loop. 

When then installed the loop, didn't they terminate it with a RJ-11?

Katz
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 4 of 7
(10,650 Views)
They surely lied to you. You need to plug any  modem it into a phone jack. Ask for the clerk's supervisor and create a stink.
larryw9999
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 5 of 7
(10,561 Views)

sherri37 wrote:
I'm hoping someone can answer my questions here because the support did not have the answer.  I ordered new dry loop wireless service and was told I would not need a phone jack in the room my computer was located.  I received my package today and all of the instructions show that it does have to be hooked into a phone jack and the computer.  My office does not have a phone jack and I am hoping someone can give me an option other than installing a phone jack.  Help please!!!  Anyone???

Sheri,

Just to confirm, there is such thing as wireless DSL service. DSL (also known as High Speed Internet) is data/internet service over copper phone lines. Dry Loop refers to the fact that you do not have plain old telephone service on the copper phone lines, but you do have dsl service.

What Vz has provided to you is DSL service and what appears to be a wirleless router. You will need to plug the Westell 7500 router in the closest or most convenient location where there is an existing phone jack and power outlet.

Once connected and turned on, the router will provide a wireless network within your home/apartment. Any computer or laptop with a wireless card will be able to see and connect to your wireless network to gain access to the internet.

If your computer does not have a wireless card installed, you can add one. They are not very expensive. Your other choice is to have someone help you run a phone line from an existing wall jack to a place in your computer room. 

Hope this help.

Larry
Verizon Telecom
Vz Voice Portals & Connection Wizard

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

larryw9999
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 6 of 7
(10,556 Views)

larryw9999 wrote:

sherri37 wrote:

Sheri,

Just to confirm, there is such thing as wireless DSL service. DSL (also known as High Speed Internet) is data/internet service over copper phone lines. Dry Loop refers to the fact that you do not have plain old telephone service on the copper phone lines, but you do have dsl service.

I NEED TO DOUBLE CHECK MY POSTS BEFORE I POST THEM.... SORRY, BUT I MEANT TO SAY "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WIRELESS DSL SERVICE.

Larry
Verizon Telecom
Vz Voice Portals & Connection Wizard

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

kennyinbmore
Contributor
Contributor

Message 7 of 7
(10,292 Views)
Sherri what verizon equipment do you have? The modem/router has to be plugged into a jack. The computer can be anywhere as long as you have a wireless router and a wireless adapter in your computer
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title