Couldn't get Netgear DGN2000 to connect with Verizon
shawnerz
Enthusiast - Level 1

All,

I'm making this post in hopes it might help somebody else.  I bought a Netgear DGN2000 DSL modem + wireless router to replace the Verizon supplied Westell.

I connected everything and the modem could not get an IP address from Verizon.  When I put the Westell online, everything worked.  WHen I put the Netgear in, the Netgear saw the DSL signal but could not get an IP address.

Called Verizon tech support who sent me to Netgear tech support.

Long story short, the problem was in the ADSL settings page of the modem.  The VPI (?) setting is 8 by default but needs to be set to 0.

If you have a similar problem, change your VPI to 0.

I hope that helps.

-Shawn

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Couldn't get Netgear DGN2000 to connect with Verizon
shawnerz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just letting people know that the DGN2000 is a great DSL modem.  I haven't seen a speed increase (didn't expect one).  But I have a Wii, up to 5 notebooks, up to 3 Sony PSP's, 2 desktops, an iPhone, and a HP wireless printer all working with this modem.  It supports WPA2-PSK and legacy WPA-PSK for older devices (like the PSP's).

-Shawn

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Couldn't get Netgear DGN2000 to connect with Verizon
shawnerz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just letting people know that the DGN2000 is a great DSL modem.  I haven't seen a speed increase (didn't expect one).  But I have a Wii, up to 5 notebooks, up to 3 Sony PSP's, 2 desktops, an iPhone, and a HP wireless printer all working with this modem.  It supports WPA2-PSK and legacy WPA-PSK for older devices (like the PSP's).

-Shawn

0 Likes