DNS Issues
garyj4

I noticed a slowdown in service (taking longer and longer to open web pages) over the weekend.  Figured it was just more people on over the weekend.  We last night (9/22) I got home from work and found the Internet was down completely at the house.  After doing basic trouble shooting (putting phone on line and verifiying dialtone, etc) I called Tech Support.  I spend 3 hours on the line with them and really resolved nothing.  I now have connection to the Internet and can get to google's page (my home page), but that is it.  If I do an nslookup I get an nonauthorative answer from my westell 327W modem.  If I enter a web URL I see it resolve the address, but that is it.

Does anyone know if there is a tool like tcpdump for windows (vista)?  I need to see if the data is getting off my box, etc.

Could not beleive the tech support though, after troubleshooting the PCs directly connected to the modem, he wants me to directly attach a laptop now.  It is pretty obvious that my PC is using the cache for Google. It is like he has a script and will not think outside that box.  What happened to real troubleshooting??????  The final straw for me was my wife telling him (I had production change to make so I handed it off to her) that we were going to go to Comcast, and his response was 'all I want you to do is connect a laptop to the modem'. 

0 Likes
Re: DNS Issues
CharlotteS
Moderator Emeritus
Hello garyj4,

Thank you for participating in the Verizon Forums.

Customer satisfaction is our #1 priority at Verizon.

Since the Verizon Forums are a peer-to-peer channel, we have escalated your concern to our Customer Support Channel. They will be emailing you as soon as possible.

If you have concerns in the future, please contact Customer Support directly through Contact Us.

Regards,

CharlotteS
Verizon Forums Team Moderator
0 Likes
garyj4
Well problem resolved.  On 9/23 I called Tech Support ater I calmed down a little and found there was an outage in our area.  By the 5pm on 9/23 we had service up again.  But I could not believe it was a problem in the area, especially after the tech that I was working with on 9/22 kept saying it has to be a problem on your system.  did talk to another engineer toay, and relayed to him the case could be closed.  also let him know about the first line of support I received.
0 Likes
garyj4

well i opened a new case with verizon.  i had them close the previous case as all seemed well.  Last night (9/24) I got online and response time was horroible.  I opened a chat session just to let them know there was an issue again.  Let them know the whole history behind the problem.  They immediately wanted to start testing on my PCs.  I let them know this was not a PC issue, and they insisted they needed to test from the PCs.  THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LISTEN TO THE PROBLEM.  THEY HAVE A  SCRIPT AND DO NOT STRAY FROM IT.  Oh well all I can say is SO LONG VERIZON. Looks like I will be going back to Comcast.  i cannot have the outages I am starting to experience.

0 Likes
garyj4
Local Verizon Tech Support got back to me and told me they had made a change in my area to resolve the issue.  That worked for one day, long enough for me to close the call.  Then to my suprise I came home Wed (9/24) and found we were in the same situation.  Opened another case (via chat) with Verizon and the tech support guy (off-shore I suspect) immediately wanted me to start checking out my PC.  This was after I explained to him the issues we had before and Verizon had made a change in the local area.  He still wanted to start troubleshooting at my PC.  I told him to forget it and I was switching to Comcast and hung up.  I support a real time environment and cannot afford this type of outage. 
0 Likes
Kathleen
VZ Employee Emeritus
The Verizon Forums Team has followed up and confirmed that GARYJ4 has been contacted by Verizon Customer service and his orginial issue was resolved.  The following thread has been made read-only as a result.
0 Likes