DNS server going out all the time.
DanD12

I have DSL because Fios isn't available here yet. I have very few issues but there is one nagging one that I have yet to get help on. Every day there will come a time in which I get a "page not found" or "can't find page" or Netflix will not respond yet I'm still connected to the internet but have no access. It turns out that I lost the DNS server so a simple reboot of the modem and all is good however it happens all the time. It would only happen once a week and then twice a week and that was ok but then it was three times and sometimes 5 or more times and that is when it gets annoying. So far nobody have been able to tell me why this happens on such a regular basis which is why I'm here, Verizon techs treat me the same way, I'm not computer illiterate and can usually fix most things myself. When I try to tell them what is wrong they simply have me reboot the modem but I know this already, I want to know what is wrong that it keeps happening and they can't or won't tell me. I think it would help if I was talking to someone that english isn't a second language as I believe some don't undertand exatly what I need so any help here would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DNS server going out all the time.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Simple solution really is to not use the built-in DNS shim in the DSL router or a Vz DNS server.  You should be able to go into the configuration setting for you router and find the DHCP section -- there, try changing the DNS settings from "dynamically assigned" to "these servers" and try one of the many public DNS servers like Googles: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Not all routers let you give out your own DNS and instead supply the local shim on the router -- which is likely what is crashing on you (and thus using your own router could help there).

To test this theory, on any device where you are expiriencing this, you can also change their configuration to specify the DNS servers you want instead of the ones that the DHCP server gives you.   Same deal as above ... use Google's or one of the other many public servers and see if that fixes you up.   Not ideal, but it will pinpoint the router as the issue.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of the modem that you have?

#2 If you have a seperate NAT router: What is the brand and model of it?

For example when I was last on DSL,

Modem = Actiontec GT784WNV

Seperate NAT router = Linksys E4200

DanD12

I have a D-Link model DSL-2750B modem/router. I was told by a technician that verizon knows about this issue but can't fix it but it could be just a case that nobody wants to fix it. It could also be that my explanation is lost in translation as I seem to speak to those who english is a second language.

0 Likes
Nagal

Same issues, same router/modem (dlink DSL-2750B) and attempted solutions. Tech support is useless!!! They kept suggesting switching to FIOS rather than even attempt to problem solve. Tech support must work on commission or financial incentives based on switching users from DSL to FIOS....not tech support as we used to know it.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Reply to all.

#1 What are the DNS Server(s) that you use?

#2 If you do not know what DNS Server(s) you use, one of the ways to find that out is to use the tool that is addressed at

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

My system DNS Servers are 204.186.80.251 and 204.186.110.76. They are shown in the screen shot.

#3 If you do not use a Windows based system, it does work with the help of a software app called Wine.

#4 If you do not have a seperate NAT router, do you have a spare (that works but is not in use) RJ-45 WAN port NAT router?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Simple solution really is to not use the built-in DNS shim in the DSL router or a Vz DNS server.  You should be able to go into the configuration setting for you router and find the DHCP section -- there, try changing the DNS settings from "dynamically assigned" to "these servers" and try one of the many public DNS servers like Googles: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Not all routers let you give out your own DNS and instead supply the local shim on the router -- which is likely what is crashing on you (and thus using your own router could help there).

To test this theory, on any device where you are expiriencing this, you can also change their configuration to specify the DNS servers you want instead of the ones that the DHCP server gives you.   Same deal as above ... use Google's or one of the other many public servers and see if that fixes you up.   Not ideal, but it will pinpoint the router as the issue.

chief1993

I have the same problem. Tech support just keeps singing the same old song. Nothing they say to do or what they do from their end works.  Verizon fix it! 

0 Likes