DSL and wired router (EBR-2310)
paul_b
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am beginning to wonder if my Verizon DSL is basically a one-pc service. I have a simple 4-port D-link router. I've been using wired routers, first a Linksys, then the D-Link, for a little more than 4 years. There's been a tendency toward dropped Internet connections ever since I began using a router; I just learned that I should have been using the modem in "bridged" mode to avoid conflicts with the router. I wasn't able to access the user interface with my old Westell modem, so Verizon sent me a nice new 6100G, and upon receiving the modem, to make sure it was working properly I set it up for one PC only: no router. Very solid. Great performance. Of course, switching cables from PC to PC and not having access to my network hard drive was a shortcoming; more than that, a significant problem. So, finally, using instructions from the DSLReports site, I reset the Westell to bridged mode, and put the router back into the system. It works, but only intermittently. The connection is constantly dropping and this is very very frustrating--it wastes a lot of time. I've reset the D-link router to its defaults, have it in "always on" mode with dynamic IP for a PPPoE connection. Can anyone suggest where I might have missed some settings that could be causing this problem?

thanks, paulb brookln

0 Likes
Re: DSL and wired router (EBR-2310)
DSLhomeUser
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi - I have DSL and have successfully been using more than one computer with the wireless router for several years.  Any issues with performance are related to Verizon not maintaining the copper wire infrastructure.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the model of your old Westell modem?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

By chance, would you happen to know the model number of your older modem? The Westell 2100s and older modems were in bridge mode by default as that was really the only thing they were capable of. Their Interface was nothing more than a Telnet interface or a Utility that you ran on your computer.

When bridging the Westell 6100G, you want to ensure it is set to "Bridge" mode rather than Routed Bridge mode. You also want to ensure the modem's DHCP server is disabled, and you also want to ensure the router's Maximum WAN MTU is set to 1492, not 1500.

paul_b
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry that I haven't watched my post for a long time--I appreciate the reply. I still have the dropped connections and don't know how to fix it. Here's what my router's configuration page looks. Is anything wrong? Remember, I have a the new DSL (6100G) modem in bridge mode. I'm with Verizon in NYC, if that's important.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the delay, but I could not see your screen shot until a mod (or an admin) approved it..

#1 I know your EBR-2310 has a four port LAN switch built into it.

#2 Do you have a hub or a switch that is NOT part of router?

#3 Do you have a computer with only one NIC?

If so, is that NIC a wired NIC?

#4 If you have a computer with at least two NICs, is one of the NICs a wired one?

#5 Besides your EBR-2310, do you have another RJ-45 WAN port router?

#6 In your EBR-2310 go to Setup -> Network Settings.

#7 What is the current LAN IP of the EBR-2310?

[EDIT] #8 Since you are on PPPoE: How many free/available/unoccupied RJ-45 LAN port(s) does the EBR-2310 have?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not seeing anything that stands out.

Do these drops seem to occur more when you transfer data across the line or do they take place at random? In the past (2005-2007), I know I had issues with running my setup in Bridged mode, as firing up large downloads would result in a disconnect at random. That doesn't happen anymore, and I in fact haven't lost connectivity in about 130 days so whatever the issue was, I'm glad it's fixed. I run a Westell 6100 (A dinosaur model, the B90) which runs Bridged, and goes to an ActionTec MI424WR (A FiOS router) configured to run DD-WRT. Rock solid setup that has no issues with what I put onto the network.

I would also double check your line statistics. Not that I'm not trusting you in saying the line is stable while the modem is unbridged, I'm just curious to know if there might be something going on with the line that we aren't direclty identifying.

Lastly, check for firmware upgrades to the D-Link. They can fix all sorts of funny and odd issues...

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smith6612 wrote:
I would also double check your line statistics. Not that I'm not trusting you in saying the line is stable while the modem is unbridged, I'm just curious to know if there might be something going on with the line that we aren't direclty identifying.

I agree.

Sorry for the long post. but this info the OP should know.

If the modem combo is not in bridge mode at 192.168.1.1,  if the LAN IP D-Link EBR-2310 does not start with 192.168.1 and if the D-Link EBR-2310's WAN/Internet/To Modem port is connected to the Westell's only LAN port, this is what you need to know:

Visit http://192.168.1.1/for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

---

If the modem combo is in bridge mode at 192.168.1.1, then these are your options.

** Opton number one, since you are on PPPoE **

#1 Disconnect the D-Link EBR-2310's WAN/Internet/To Modem port from the Westell's only LAN port.

#2 In the D-Link EBR-2310 change the LAN IP, so that it is 192.168.1.2

#3 The wire from the Westell's only LAN port connects to one of the D-Link EBR-2310 LAN ports.

#4 Connect a wire to the D-Link EBR-2310's WAN/Internet/To Modem port. This other wire goes to one of the D-Link EBR-2310 LAN ports.

#5 Please note: I have only heard/read of this option - I have not tested it. So, I can't say for sure if this will work or not.

** Opton number two **

#1 Disconnect the D-Link EBR-2310's WAN/Internet/To Modem port from the Westell's only LAN port.

#2 Make sure that a hub/switch that is not IP aware is only connected to a power supply.

#3 The wire from the Westell's only LAN port connects to the uplink port on that hub/switch.

#4 Connect a wire to the D-Link EBR-2310's WAN/Internet/To Modem port. The other end of the wire connects to any other port of that hub/switch but not the uplink port OR to the port next to the uplink port.

#5 Make sure that you can access the net. If not, the wire that connects to the uplink port of that hub/swtich may need to be connected to the port next to the uplink port.

#6 Disconnect a computer's wired NIC from one of the D-Link EBR-2310's LAN ports.

#7 Set that computer's wired NIC to use a Static IP.

a) These settings should work..

IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

b) If those settings don't work, then

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

c) If those settings don't work, then

DNS #1: 192.168.1.1

#8 On that wired NIC, be sure to unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks.

#9 Connect that computer's wired NIC to any other port of the hub/switch that is connected between your D-Link EBR-2310 and your Westell.

#10 Now you can get access to the modem combo while it is in bridge mode.

#11 If that computer has two at least NICs (at least one of them has to be wired), and your D-Link EBR-2310's LAN IP does not start with 192.168.1 - not only can you can access the modem combo while it is in bridge mode, you can also access the Internet. 🙂

#12 If that computer does not have at least two NICs, to get back online..

a) Disconnect the computer from the hub/switch that is connected between the your D-Link EBR-2310 and your Westell.

b) Connect the computer to one of the D-Link EBR-2310's LAN ports.

c) Set the computer to use DHCP, as need be.

** Opton number three **

#2 Make sure that a hub/switch that is not IP aware is only connected to a power supply.

#3 The wire from the Westell's only LAN port connects to the uplink port on that hub/switch.

#4 Connect a wire to the D-Link EBR-2310's WAN/Internet/To Modem port. The other end of the wire connects to any other port of that hub/switch but not the uplink port OR to the port next to the uplink port.

#5 Make sure that you can access the net. If not, the wire that connects to the uplink port of that hub/swtich may need to be connected to the port next to the uplink port.

#6 Make sure that your other RJ-45 WAN port router is only connected to a power supply.

#7 In the other RJ-45 WAN port router, as need be change it's LAN IP so it is not in the same subnet as the modem combo. For example change it to 192.168.0.2

#8 Change in the other RJ-45 WAN port router Internet Connection to Static IP, the same subnet as the modem combo.

a) These settings should work..

b) If those settings don't work, then

c) If those settings don't work, then

DNS #1: 192.168.1.1

#9 Connect the other RJ-45 WAN port router to the hub/switch that is conneted between your D-Link EBR-2310 and your Westell.

#10 In the other RJ-45 WAN port router, turn off the DHCP Server.

#11 Connect one the other RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN ports to one of the LAN ports of the D-Link EBR-2310.

#12 In the D-Link EBR-2310 add a route, that goes like this...

Subnet IP: 192.168.1.0 (the subnet of your modem)
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.2 (the IP address of the secondary router on the LAN

#13 Tada. Can get online, get acces to the modem combo while it is in bridge mode and without at least one wired NIC.

paul_b
Enthusiast - Level 2

It may take me a few days or even a week to digest this information and inspect my setup.  But thanks a million--I'm not giving up on this.

paulb

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Correction(s)...

For ** Opton number three ** (bridge mode)

#6 Make sure that your computer and power supply are the only things connected to the other RJ-45 WAN port router.

#2 Pros and cons of each.

a) For router not in bridge mode

Pro: As long as the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is not in the same subnet as the modem combo, you don't need to change a thing.

Con: Deal with Double NAT which can cause issues.

Issues are addressed on http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

b) For ** Opton number one ** (bridge mode)

Pro: As long as the RJ-45 WAN port router has at least two LAN ports, you do not need to add more hardware (other than an extra wire).

Con: Not a good idea / unsecure? Source: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26736607-

Con2: As I said, I am not sure if it works or not.

c) For ** Opton number two  ** (bridge mode)

Pro.. As long as your computer has two NICs (one of them has to be wired), and as long the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is not the same subnet - you can get online and access the modem combo with the computer that is connected to the hub/switch that is connected between the modem combo and the RJ-45 WAN port router.

Pro2: If the computer does not have two NICs, then pro: The computer(s) behind the RJ-45 WAN port router can access the Internet while the computer that is connected to the hub/switch can access the modem combo.

Con: Requires the use of a hub/switch.

Con2:I have heard/read not only about the security problem/issue with File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks I have also heard/read that is still unsecure. Source: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26747621-

d) For ** Opton number three  ** (bridge mode)

Con: Requires a hub/switch, and another router.

Pro: Don't need to disable File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks, unless you want to.

Pro2: Can acces both the Internet and modem combo at the same time.

Pro3: Your computer does not need to have a wired NIC.

0 Likes