DSL Availability
xxHopefulxx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, so I live about 3 miles outside of town.  There are a bunch of houses out by me but we still don't have DSL.  When we ask Verizon or our cable company if we can get DSL, they say the lines are too outdated.  Now some people tell me we live too far away from the office to get it, but I can also see when you turn on to my road, the road that I was previously on, the DSL lines continue on, almost like they are bypassing my road.  I can't understand this, but my main concern is I believe that I am in the region where Frontier will be taking over, and I want to know if they are going to provide DSL or just keep the lines and do nothing with them.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Availability
Mike416
Enthusiast - Level 1

As has been my experience - if Verizon owns the lines - you are at Verizons mercy. Just because a new ISP takes over the area does not mean they will install lines - and more realistically they will not because Verizon owns the poles. Verizon sub's out the dsl services to ISP's in the area but the lines and poles still belong to them.

Good luck with your situation. You wont get any help from their customer service and can likely get 2 different answers to your question by calling 2 different times.

Re: DSL Availability
xxHopefulxx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you sure about that because I thought they only loaned the lines if the company was a little company like Earthlink, or Netzero, or Peoplepc.  Im not sure but I read somewhere that Verizon wanted to get rid of all their lines outside of cities and sell them to the local companies.  Im not sure but I just want DSL.