DSL availability
Ham10214
Is it true that not everyone on a street will get DSL.  If they run out of "ports", then the rest of the street do no have DSL available to them?  Is this true?  If so, can more ports be added?
0 Likes
Re: DSL availability
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Not knowing how your lines are set up in your neighborhood makes this difficult to answer.  If your neighborhood is fed by a pairgain system such as a slic series 5 then your statement could be true.  Dsl sucks up some major bandwidth to those cabinets so they are limited as to how many Dsl subscribers they can handle. 

If your line is fed directly from the Central office, more cabinets can be added to fulfill the demand.  But not with out some pretty major expense.

Ham10214
So should I or can I ask how the DSL is set up?  I am building a house on a lot on the road and most are new homes.  One Verizon representative told me yes our new home can get DSL and today another lady said she didn't know.  VERY confusing.  If I can't get DSL, I'm going to have to set up other internet providers because I work from home.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Ham10214 wrote:
So should I or can I ask how the DSL is set up?  I am building a house on a lot on the road and most are new homes.  One Verizon representative told me yes our new home can get DSL and today another lady said she didn't know.  VERY confusing.  If I can't get DSL, I'm going to have to set up other internet providers because I work from home.
If you mean asking me?  I can't answer for your area.  I would think the reps at the Dsl dept should be able to answer that.  Disreguard the one that didn't know, or if you get another that's says that, asked to be transferred to someone that can find out.
0 Likes
Ham10214

I guess that seems to be the problem.  WHO exactly do I ask for, it's so automated you can't ask for DSL information.  I ask them if I could get DSL at that address, and of course nothing is on that lot right now so they don't know.  The house next to us, was just built and they have no record of them either.  Then I asked at one point, could you just tell me if there is DSL down that road and they of course didn't know.  I know there are people on the road already with DSL.  Another piece of information was that, my friend who lives on the road, told me her neighbor, who had an excisting house was told he would have to wait 6 months to get his DSL, while my girlfriend who lives right next door has it already.  I mentioned that to the representative and both said that is false.

ONce again, very confusing.  Any ideas on any Keywords I can say, anyone department I can ask for?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

First...your girlfriend, she has a house next to where your building?  The neighbor that has to wait 6 months, did they say why?  When a house isn't in the data base it makes it hard for them to say yes.  If you can give them the phone number of the neighbor that has it, they could give you a better idea.  Better yet is if you were both working out of the same box...I'm presumming your lines are buried?

As for Keyword...they need a reference point...existing phone numbers on your street is a good place to start.

0 Likes