DSL Connection Timeout
GaryGranath

For years I have been using a "Westell Wirespeed B90-210015-04 Rev. F" modem for DSL service. Recently I had a problem renewing my IP address, and I think that has been fixed, but now if I walk away from the computer for just a few minutes, the connection drops. I get a message telling me to Retry, and when I do the connection becomes active again.

I used to be able to walk away from my computer for 30 minutes or more, come back, and resume where I left off. Now if I don't do anything for just a few minutes, then try to start a browser or send an email, I get a message that the connection failed. I can click the "Retry" option and the connection is re-established until the next time I leave the computer for a few minutes. What can I do to fix this annoyance?

Thanks, Gary

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL Connection Timeout
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GaryGranath wrote:

I have two computers behind this modem, both are running Win XP Home SP3. My computer is the only one that drops the connection.

Ok.

#1 Here is a list of possible ways two computer could be connected behind that modem. Please tell me, which way it is:

a) One of the computer's is using - Windows ICS.

For example I point to http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1134525903

b) A proxy server on one of the computers.

c) A NAT server on one of the computers.

For example, when I went to

http://www.homenethelp.com/sharing/software.asp

Midpoint is one of the NAT Servers that could be put on a computer.

d) A hardware router is connected to the modem, and the computers are behind the hardware router.

#2 If you have a hardware router, which one? For example the Linksys WRT54G.

#3 Does your computer, the other computer, both computers,OR none of your computer(s), have PPPoE setup?

Since you are on Windows XP, to check this..

a) Go to Start -> Connect to -> Show All Connections.

b) OR Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network And Internet Connections -> Network Connections.

If there is anything about a WAN Miniport (PPPoE), then that computer (or computers) have PPPoE Setup.

^^^

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is your OS and Version? For example, Windows XP.

#2 Do you have only computer or least two computers behind this modem?

0 Likes
GaryGranath

I have two computers behind this modem, both are running Win XP Home SP3. My computer is the only one that drops the connection.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GaryGranath wrote:

Ok.

#1 Here is a list of possible ways two computer could be connected behind that modem. Please tell me, which way it is:

a) One of the computer's is using - Windows ICS.

For example I point to http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1134525903

b) A proxy server on one of the computers.

c) A NAT server on one of the computers.

For example, when I went to

http://www.homenethelp.com/sharing/software.asp

Midpoint is one of the NAT Servers that could be put on a computer.

d) A hardware router is connected to the modem, and the computers are behind the hardware router.

#2 If you have a hardware router, which one? For example the Linksys WRT54G.

#3 Does your computer, the other computer, both computers,OR none of your computer(s), have PPPoE setup?

Since you are on Windows XP, to check this..

a) Go to Start -> Connect to -> Show All Connections.

b) OR Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network And Internet Connections -> Network Connections.

If there is anything about a WAN Miniport (PPPoE), then that computer (or computers) have PPPoE Setup.

^^^

0 Likes
GaryGranath

Well! This is one of those oddities that defies explanation. The problem has simply stopped happening. What the....????

I thank you for your personal interest and offer of help, but this has become a non-problem.

I'm not sure how to wrap up this thread, so if I need to click a button, would someone please let me know?

Thanks Again, Gary

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

You can click the green link that says "Mark as Accepted Solution" Smiley Happy