DSL drops connection almost constantly except late at night
dorothyann08

I have dry-loop DSL service with Westell 7500 modem (means no phone line = no filters needed for phones).  I have gone through countless hours of technical support with no help.  Please let me know if anyone knows how to fix this, or how I can get out of this horrible mess without paying Verizon any more money for this crap.

I seem to lose internet connection almost all hours of the day. The modem will drop connection very frequently. However, late at night 1:00 a..m. - 6:00 a.m. the connection seems to always stay up. I have contacted Verzion technical support and they have told me that  I have an intermittent connection issue but nothing seems to fix it.

They have done the following things without any resolution:

1. Line test - No issues were reported (the internet light was on at the time)

2. 24 hour line test - Reported there were issues with the line

3. Technican visit - TWICE - no issues found

4. New modem - Had to configure it with the bridged connection - still problem happening

5. Replaced the phone cord and internet cable with what came with the modem again. - still dropping internet

5. More line tests - Issues with the line

6. Technician visit set up for tomorrow (8/10) - doubt anything will change this time

7. Replaced phone jack - we replaced this on our own because the jack is pretty old- this still has not resolved the issues.

I have called so many times it is unreal. All they keep telling me now is there is a connection with the line, but everytime the technician comes out to check the lines he says he cannot find a problem.  I have just started to notice the late nights not having an issue and I'm wondering if it has something to do with Verizon overloading themselves with cutomers causing the customers further away from the central office to get the low end of the totem pole of connection (yes I do understand you get lower connection speed the further you are away, but you should be able to keep connection with the speed they say is the only speed available in your area.)  I live in a college town/area and the office is closer to the college and I have been told by someone with Verizon that the students come first compared to the residents. So I'm wondering if during the day they're pulling more ot of Verizons services why I'm getting dropped so much, and then at night when they're either partying, studying, or sleeping, that's when I actually get a stable connection.  I could be way off but it almost seems logical to me.

Let me know what you think, or if you need anymore information to help me. THanks so much! 🙂

0 Likes
Re: DSL drops connection almost constantly except late at night
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Please post your modem stats.
0 Likes
kenmore

I have exactly the same problem with my dry loop internet. I am also using a Westell 7500. I have had the service since February, and from the very beginning, I am constantly losing my internet connection. Basically, the DSL light remains on, but the internet light frequently turns red. I am constantly forced to reboot my modem to regain internet access.

The severity of the problem varies from day to day. Some days I don't have any problem at all, other days I cannot remain connected for more than two or three minutes before I lose connection. Upon rebooting, my connection is severed again a couple of minutes later. Some days I seem to lose connection once an hour. Sometimes the problem lasts half a day then stops. There is no consistency to the pattern except that it generally happens every day.

There is nothing wrong with my phone jack. I know the problem is not caused by bugs, because I often reconstruct my Windows operating system, only to find that my internet connection continues to be severed.

Verizon's telephone customer service people have been useless...more trouble than they are worth.

0 Likes
titan
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are not the only one having this problem. I to believe Verizon has overload the DSL and not made the upgrades needed to handle the customers. {edited}

And as for the foreign tech support, I have called 50 or more times and every time I have to give them the model router. Think they would have it stored somewhere by now. {please keep your posts courteous}

Message Edited by KaLin on 08-16-2009 07:21 AM
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Kenmore, please post your transceiver statistics.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
In the Westell 7500 this may be at System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats.

0 Likes
sirensound
Enthusiast - Level 1
Glad to see I am not alone. This has been happening to me for months. My connection is so unreliable that I can no longer work from home on days I have appointments, etc. I just bought a Netgear DGS 2000 to replace my Westell 327W router. I will let you know how it goes. I really do not want to, but if this keeps up, I will have no choice but to go to Comcast's service. Verizon has provided no help, plus they have been very slow in getting FiOS to my area, even though all the areas surrounding me have it. Guess I have to pick the lesser of two evils.. looking more and more like Comcast.
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
Back when I used to have dsl, I had a similar problem. At first I thought that it was ATT (my first DSL), I switched to Verizon and had the exact same issue. Like you I replaced the modem, internal wiring, jacks, filters (i had dsl and phone) etc. ATT was out 9 times in less than a month and never got a resolution. I had enough and switched to Verizon, and I had the same issue. I thought, what the hell is going on? Then about the 3 Verizon tech that I got out there was an older gentleman that said that he had been doing phone lines for over 30 years and knew exactly what the problem was. Back in the early 80's they put in a lot of "bridge taps" on the lines in my area and something to do with the way they were manufactured, when they got to a certain temperature they would no longer pass signal correctly. So when usage went up and DSL started passing all the traffic, they got hotter, add to that the heat of the day and my DSL would go down. Worked fine at night when everything was cool. He put a tester on the line said "its the one 1280 feet down the line" he drove down the street and 10 minutes later, my DSL was working perfectly. When he came back he said that the problem was that between me and the CO there were 87 bridge taps. And they were all old and likely to fail at any time. But they only replaced them when they actually failed. Now since that time I had to call them about 2 times a year, I'd tell them that a bridge tap went out and then the next day a tech would come out, track it down, replace it and get me back up and working. Now thankfully I've been able to switch to fios since then but that did sort of fix it for me. You may want to ask them if they have a similar issue in your area.
Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-17-2009 02:39 PM
0 Likes
kenmore
"In the Westell 7500 this may be at System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats."
This is what I found when I checked:
Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d19d Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_2plus Data Path FAST
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3358 839 Margin (dB) 20.2 18.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 35.0 14.1 Transmit Power (dBm) 8.8 12.4
Message Edited by kenmore on 08-17-2009 08:00 PM
Message Edited by kenmore on 08-17-2009 08:01 PM
0 Likes
kenmore

This may make more sense:

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d19d

Vendor ID Code: 4D54

Line Mode: ADSL_2plus

Data Path: FAST

Transceiver Information

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) Downstream Path: 3358