DSL drops connection repeatedly
hruodland1
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last month or two DSL has been dropping connection a dozen or more times a day and then coming back in a minute or two with a new IP address. It's been a problem for my wife, who connects to her office network from her home computer and must re-establish the connection whenever this happens.

We're in Brooklyn, and we use a rather old Westell 327W modem. I've tried resetting the modem but no luck. Also swapping it out for another 327W of about the same vintage (we used to have two DSL lines). Again no luck. I just tried calling the Verizon help line but got the message that they were extraordinarily busy and I'd do better calling later.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong? How to fix it? Info to gather so if I ever do connect with a Verizon rep I'll be able to answer all the questions?

Thanks for any assistance!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL drops connection once an hour RESOLVED
hruodland1
Enthusiast - Level 2

More thrills and chills--after a day or so the 327W started recycling every hour on the half hour even when used only as a router, so I replaced it with an old DI-514 router. Now the connection is much more stable, but the security on the DI-514 is weak, so I'm getting a more up-to-date router to replace it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: DSL drops connection repeatedly
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
Just heads up, there phone system defaults to that message. Says something like "we are receiving extremely large call...." If you choose to wait. Your call MIGHT be connected in a few minutes. I called in every night for two weeks straight. Sometimes I would get a person right away other times I would have to wait 15 minutes. Give it a try. If you can't get through someone here will definitely get you started in the right direction.
0 Likes
Re: DSL drops connection once an hour UPDATE
hruodland1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been watching, and it's been happening once an hour about on the half hour.

Re: DSL drops connection once an hour UPDATE
DSLuser7

You can tell them that I'm having the problem too in Queens.

0 Likes
Re: DSL drops connection once an hour SOLVED
hruodland1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I watched some more and it turned out that every hour within a minute of the half hour the power light was turning red so the 327W was recycling, apparently because of some signal received from the DSL line. The fix was to bring out an old Westell Wirespeed modem we had lying around, connect with DSL using that, and use the 327W as a router only.

To use the 327W as a router only you go to My Network, then to Network Connections, then to VersaPort, and change its use from LAN Ethernet Port to WAN Uplink Port. Then you connect the ethernet port on the modem to E1 on the 327W with a cable, and you''re there. Or at least I was.

0 Likes
jespat1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here in central Pennsylvania!

0 Likes
hruodland1
Enthusiast - Level 2

More thrills and chills--after a day or so the 327W started recycling every hour on the half hour even when used only as a router, so I replaced it with an old DI-514 router. Now the connection is much more stable, but the security on the DI-514 is weak, so I'm getting a more up-to-date router to replace it.

0 Likes
hruodland1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a Netgear G54 N150 Wireless Router ($26 on ebay) and using it with my Westell Wirespeed 2100 modem all problems are solved.

0 Likes
gremlins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an even better one for over 3 years the connection box for my block has been damaged and is open to rain. Every so often some one has to come out and clean the oxidation offthe contacts so we can have a conection.The service people who come out keep escalating the work orders to the *next* level to get this done but no one at verizon can acctualy aprove it or knows who can. Realy poor management is no reason.They wonder why the are loosing customers.And talking to customer service is we cant and we dont and we will call you back in the future when we have access to our supervisor?? what are they watching on thier tv while answering the phones?

0 Likes
ds101

Same problem here.  Every time it rains or snows, my Verizon DSL connection drops.  I experienced this problem in a former residence, and now I have it again here, in a new state.  The problem is that Verizon's copper wire infrastructure is old, worn out, and poorly maintained,and Verizon is not doing much to repair it because they want to up-sell customers to FIOS.  When the Verizon technician came to my house the first time, he said the that the wires between the house and the switching box were frayed and coming apart, so every time they were exposed to moisture, the signal woud short out.   I had FIOS for a few years and the connections were more stable, but not by much.

0 Likes