DSL - High Ping, Unable to play games/VPN
AdLit

Hey all,

I'm writing in regards to my DSL service, which I just switched over to from cable.  I do a fair amount of gaming, both on PC and xbox, and already had my router set up for port forwarding successfully on my cable modem.  I have a DSL Westell 6100G modem, which I changed to bridge mode and connected to my Netgear WGR614v7 wireless router.  I can access the internet without issue, can download fine, and can stream Netflix without issue.  However, on some PC or XBOX games, my ping is so high that I either cannot connect or lose my connection to other games.  I'm also having this problem when i use a VPN/Tunnelling software on my PC to play XBOX online (via XLINK/Kai).  All of my required ports are properly forwarded and I"ve checked to make sure they're open.  When I use pingtest.net, I get an A or B* rating, usually with ping 20-40.  However, as soon as I go to play a game, my ping skyrockets and I am unable to go any further.

Please let me know of any suggestions you may have.  If there's any other information I can provide, let me know.

Again, my Westell 6100G is properly bridged, and my Netgear router detects PPPoE and is properly connected/forwarded, as proven by downloads/streaming/testing.  I can get download speeds anywhere from 4-6.5Mb/s, and upload speeds of ~700Kb/s, as tested at speedtest.net.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

0 Likes
Re: DSL - High Ping, Unable to play games/VPN
Corey_on_FioS
Enthusiast - Level 1

You might have picked a bad weekend to switch over to Verizon DSL. It appears both DSL and FiOS customers are having problems accessing certain internet addresses residing in California. Many gaming servers are based there, including World of Warcraft, Everquest, etc., but also including sites like Craiglist, newegg.com.  We're all hoping it'll get better within a few days when/if they figure out what's going on.

Re: DSL - High Ping, Unable to play games/VPN
AdLit

Hmm....really??  That sounds pretty **bleep** bad.  Is this something that has been going on for a while?  Are you a gamer as well?  If so, were you previously able to connect without issues?  Any help you can provide is very, very welcome.  When I had my cable modem, everything worked like a breeze.  Since switching this has been the one thing I cannot get to work.  I just tried a 3rd party modem (Netgear) in case it was that the westell was just not going to cut it, but it hasn't helped me at all.

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes