DSL Internet periodically shuts off
Fleetwood11
Enthusiast - Level 1

My High Speed DSL internet seems to periocially shut off. This problem started a week or so ago and is not correlated with a change in internet usage. It usually occurs after a few minutes of use, all lights on the router will stay green (power, WiFi, DSL, & Internet lights) but all our devices will show they are no longer connected to the internet. The problem can be temporarally fixed by re-starting the router but it will disconect again after a few minutes (around 5-20), once the internet shuts off the second (and subsequent) time(s) the "internet" light will turn off, all other lights will stay green. We frequently stream so it most often happens while trying to watch something, but not always. The problem occurs with devices connected via WiFi and Eathernet Cabel. The Verizion support line I called didn't get me any further than re-starting the router, I'm planning to call back sometime this week when I'm at home and have time.

I suspect this is some kind of problem with the router itself but would like to see if anyone has another idea before I buy a new one.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Internet periodically shuts off
SarahK13
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same thing happens to me!  It started a couple months ago.  I finally caved in an called when it started cutting out every 10 minutes one day.  I was told I needed a new router (mine was 10 years old) and the problem would be fixed.  I got the new router and I am still experiencing the same issues.  It almost always cuts out when I am trying to stream movies/videos.  I would not recommend waisting your money on a new router just yet.  When I troubleshoot the issue I get a message that my "DNS server may not be available."  Hopefully someone will see this an be able to help us.

oh, and calling them didn't help me either. 

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus
This issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model is your modem/router? We might want to check the line stats and gather some system logs.

0 Likes
Veich4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been dealing with this for a year! At first it was annoying but tolerable (Only happening 2 or 3 times a day) the last 3mos it goes down every couple of minites, it's to the point that it's down more than it's up. I did have the router replaced about 6-7mos ago so that isn't the issue. I'm completely fed up, I pay every month for service that I can't even use! Oh and tech support is absolutely no help

jerefw

I am having a similar issue. Originally, 14-15 years ago, I had a Westell modem supplied by Verizon, and my own router. Then I had a Dlink router/modem supplied by Verizon, and it did what is described here. So, I went back to my old Westell modem and my router and all was good, until the old modem died. So, I now have an Actiontec modem/router supplied by Verizon, and it shuts down several times per day, BUT this one will at least reboot itself. That being said, for $59.10/month, this is very annoying at the least, and is unacceptable. I have tried, and given up, calling support and getting nowhere with them. The one tech that was sent to my home said the issue is NOT at my home, but with the Verizon equipment. I would like to have this issue resolved if possible...

0 Likes
Haznlou
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem!  I have been with Verizon going on 3 weeks!!  None of our computers or phones can be connected to the internet!!  I left Comcast for this crap!  I have called at least 10 times and get excuses like to reboot... a tech agent has been out to my house twice!  Then last night I was told that is the splitter!!  That I needed to buy a new one from the store!   I am not buying anything!  Right now my service has cut out 11 times in 30 mins. I am thinking to cancel my service and go back to Comcast!!  I have never ever had an issue like this!  Horrible customer service!  

0 Likes
glowramia

I also too have this issue in NYC. I get the Check Your Connection error, or the Proxy, Firewall or DNS error. Sometimes it reloads to the website in search. Other times I have to reboot.  Overall, it's been very slow. They told me it was my old Westell 7500. They provided me with D-Link and it's been a few days now and I STILL get the same problems. This HAS to be Verizon itself and NOT us. For the price I pay monthly, it's not worth it at all. I  HOPE this issue is being investigated and resolved soon or else I will have to go with Spectrum. 

0 Likes
croller824

This is happening to me too....started about a month ago. The internet light is green on the router, and the WiFi connection shows connected on the monitor. But even tho it says it is connected to the network, I can't get online no matter what I do! I connected the router directly to the computer and no change. Sometimes it will connect for short periods and other times not ever. I thought it might be the router, but others have said that a new router made no difference. What to do??? Help!!! 🙂

0 Likes
Hailstorm4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just spent $40 on a new router from Verizon & the internet still keeps dropping. Have to reboot the router sometimes 3 times in a row... 

0 Likes