Re: DSL Internet periodically shuts off
rckirby2000

I got a new router too from Verizon because of this issue about a year ago.  The last couple days I get mostly RED on the DSL light.  I'm writing this now on my narrow window of connectivity.

What the heck?  I'm seriously looking into Satellite, but don't really want to.  I called Verizon and got a computer. 

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus
Hi rckirby2000,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents, who will be assisting you privately.
0 Likes
gilland

I  have been having this problem for over 7 years. have been with verizon for about 27 years, same outside wiring as when we moved in. i have bought 4 modems because they say thats the problem. replaced inside wiring which helped about a week. that was  3 years ago. 2 more modems since then.  Some days internet is fine. most days it says dns server not found. refresh page 10 plus times an it comes back. I am ready to switch to comcast. our only other choice which is why we have not changed yet. but for almost $80 a month for something non reliable i cant do it anymore. if we are streaming amazon or hulu etc i cant do anything on the computer. And that is still not a guarantee it will play all way thru without stopping. have the cheapest phone plan cause you have to have a phone and we dont even have one hooked up. So basically  $80 for sucky internet.   The outsside line is at least 27 years old. and the only thing that has NOT been replaced. 

0 Likes
Stan9329
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see lots of customers reporting the same intermittent DSL operation I am having BUT no one is responding that Verizon fixed it.  I am having the same "DSL internet periodically shuts off" experiences.  I haven't changed my Westell 6100 modem, yet.  I'm not sure why I would or should since none of these posts reported any success.  Half way through typing this post my DSL went down (red INTERNET LED).  I waited 4 minutes for DSL to come back on so I could continue to seek help in fixing it.

Has anyone successfully resolved this issue??

RP33

Having the same problem; it used to be intermittent but has now gone on for a week. Doesn’t matter if it’s the phone or the desktop computer, and the computer is plugged directly into the router (Actiontec GT7 that came with this DSL setup new four years ago). 

I don’t get a red light on the router. But the internet light constantly flickers. It won’t stay steady green. The DSL light is steady solid green, as is the wireless light. Rebooting has not helped. Aside from the router lights, I know the line gets a signal because the phone rings when dialed.

Ironically, this began happening just after the most recent bill payment ($115). Also ironic: A Fios truck was parked outside the same day this problem began. I have not gotten any notice that DSL is being discontinued or that a Fios upgrade is mandatory in this building or neighborhood. If it is, I would like that made explicit. 

0 Likes
RP33

Just got off the phone with a help desk technician. He ran some line tests and also had me swap the ends of the line running from the wall jack to the router. He concluded that the phone line is fine. The problem is with the Verizon DSL Internet line as it comes into the apartment building. A repair tech is scheduled to come by on Monday.

I mentioned to the help desk guy that I saw a Fios truck here the day this problem began and speculated that maybe a Fios installation has interfered with the line. He agreed that this is possible. Big Kudos to him for thoroughness and honesty.

If Fios is in fact here now, I may just upgrade. TBA.

0 Likes
janeb2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Me, too.   So I purchased a new router, which didn't help.  Calling doesn't help, either.  

RQuickDraw

I am having the same problem. I agree with Stan that it seems like no one has been able to get this problem fixed. I am using a Westell 6100G modem and a Netgear WNR-1000 router. I would pay to upgrade my equipment but that hasn't helped anyone on this forum. BTW, I haven't called for tech help yet. I gues that is next, but, based on what I have read here I am not too hopeful they can help. I don't want to go with Comcast but it might come to that. 

0 Likes
furrmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have been having issues for quite some time with Verizon, phone and internet.  The past 12 months have been horrible.  Internet is out sometimes over a week at a time.  This has been happening almost once a month.. Calling tech help is the most frustrating process imaginable.  Every call, you must start from scratch, usually with a C.S. rep from overseas, even if you have a repair/ ticket number .  After approx. one hour repeating the same processes, I am told, there is an issue with the lines and they will create a repair order.  Eventually, we will get some sporadic internet usage, only to begin cutting out again within a weeks time.  We have lived here over 30 yrs, and the lines along the road have not been replaced once.  I have actually been told by Service tech that the issue is the old copper road lines, but Verizon will not invest in repairing them.. 
  I am at my wits end, Comcast will soon be getting our addition business for internet. 
  To add to the crappy service reception, Verizon allowed AT&T to add their long distance to our account even though we had 3rd party billing blocked .  This had happened once before, since we do not use our landline for long distance calls ( basically we keep our landlin for emergency calls due to poor cell phone reception here). We had them correct the issue and add the 3rd party blocking, last month, it happened again !  Then the kicker, this months billed had a charge for changing my long distance provider !   This is the type of service Verizon provides it's customers.

0 Likes
maurmike1

I've been having this same problem since June. It drops off periodically between 11AM and 2PM. It virtually never drops off late in the day or at night. Obviously it's not the modem. I've  tried getting past the automated voice on the socalled "Customer Support" line without success. 

0 Likes