DSL Modem Configuration
josephk

OK so I am posing this question to the community. I currently have Directtv satellite with DVR service. If I put all my dvr recievers on the same network I can share saved movies between rooms. Since my home is not hard wired with cat 5 wiring I hooked up my DVR recievers wirelessly. However that didnt work, the movies would play for 5 minutes then shut down. According to Direct need a steady uninterupted signal which hard wired delivers not wireless.

So this is my question, since I have a phone jack in every room. If I purchased additional modems from verizon could I get each modem on the same network as my main modem router.

Any thoughts.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Modem Configuration
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@josephk wrote:

So this is my question, since I have a phone jack in every room. If I purchased additional modems from verizon could I get each modem on the same network as my main modem router.

Any thoughts.

Most likely you will not be able to do that way.

Since you are not hardwired with cat 5, you could try the existing power grid as a network.

0 Likes
josephk

what existing power grid ? Do you mean my electric outlets ? Using outlet ethernet adapters ? If so tried this but still doesnt work in all rooms. Cant the 2nd modem plugged into my phone jack function as a bridge ?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@josephk wrote:

what existing power grid ? Do you mean my electric outlets ? Using outlet ethernet adapters ? If so tried this but still doesnt work in all rooms.

Yes that is what I meant, and I have no idea of why that did not work.

If the directions say that - You must make sure that the outlet ethernet adapter is not connected to a surge protector, they (the company who made that outlet ethernet adapter) is to be taken seriously.

Meaning, do not connect outlet ethernet adapter to a surge protector - if you do and they told you not to EPIC FAIL.

@josephk wrote:

Cant the 2nd modem plugged into my phone jack function as a bridge ?

I do not know for sure,  but to the best of my Knowledge no.

Since you do not have Cat 5 and the existing power grid did not work, You could try existing:

#1 TV wires. This is called MOCA (Points to http://hd.engadget.com/2009/06/25/netgear-moca-coax-ethernet-adapter-review/ )

#2 Telephone wires, but not using a 2nd modem. This is called HomePNA (points to http://www-personal.umich.edu/~csev/hng/book/07nowires/index.htm )

0 Likes