Erratic and repeating disconnects
this_barb

My modem is a Westell 2200 and my router is Linksys BEFW11S4. For the past week, my internet connection has been dropping off repeatedly (approximately every 30 min - 1 hour) for about 2-5 minutes at a time during which time the DSL light on my modem blinks at a steady rate. This will occur at any point during the day and there seems to be no set pattern. Sometimes it will go the entire day without disconnecting and happen at night and other times vice versa. Before calling Verizon and probably being held up for hours, wanted to see if you guys had an suggestions.Transceiver stats are below.

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254  

Vendor ID Code:        4  

Line Mode:               G.DMT-Mode  

Data Path:               Interleaved  

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1792 448

Margin (db) 16.0 12.0

Line Attenuation (db) 52.0 18.5

Transmit Power (db/Hz) 7.0 11.0

0 Likes
Re: Erratic and repeating disconnects
LauraB

I have had DSL for 3 weeks now & it has been erratically dropping me as well.  Disenchanted.  The help desk cycled me through numerous pointless exercises during which I explicitly stated that my DSL light stays on but my internet light goes off & that it had nothing to do with my computer.... 

So, after over an hour on the phone, I am no further along to figuring out how to get this fixed.  I signed up for DSL thinking it was more dependable than cable, but being dropped numerous times a day is highly frustrating.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated.

0 Likes
StevenM

I have the same problem - I seem to get disconnected about every half hour to an hour.  It also takes a long time to reconnect by turning the modem off and back on.  In addition to that, everytime I reboot my computer and connect to the internet, I get re-directed to activate my account.  I've have to download and re-install the verizon software to get things working again. During the install, help and support freezes up and gives me the error "invalid temp folder".  So in order to complete the install, I need to choose custom install and uncheck verizon help and support.  I also have not been able to upgrade my online game account - I keep getting the error "multiple items not allowed for this offer type or the system is unable to perform the requested action".  I guess it doesn't matter though - In order to play the online games You need to stay connected to the server - since my connection drops out so much I keep getting connection errors during game play.  I'm not using a firewall - and my Anti-virus software is not the problem.  Technical support loves to blame firewalls and anti-virus software.  My connection was fine until my service speed was upgraded.  Yes - I have a faster conection, but I'm browsing 10x slower with all the trouble I've been having.  I just recently did a Release and Renew on my Internet connection so far no problems - maybe everything will be ok.  I'll post if it doesn't work though.  See here: http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Troubleshooting/Connection+Issues/QuestionsOne/88...

0 Likes
StevenM

I also did this too - This is also in the verizon help: 

If your modem is plugged into a surge protector, try plugging it directly into the power outlet in the wall.  That may have fixed my problem too.  I've been up for several hours without any disconnects. 

0 Likes
StevenM
After a re-boot all the same problems are back. 
0 Likes
this_barb

Here is a recent connection log (about 5 minutes ago):

VENTS
Events are listed starting from the most recent. **********************************************************************

TUE JUN 02 11:31:30 2009 DNS: Unknown host: 'www.nytimes.com.myhome.westell.com'

TUE JUN 02 11:31:28 2009 PPP CONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35

TUE JUN 02 11:31:27 2009 Connecting session(0): My Connection due to dsl Restart

TUE JUN 02 11:30:28 2009 PPP CONNECTION ERROR on VPI 0 VCI 35 : Could not establish Link

TUE JUN 02 11:30:27 2009 PPP DISCONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35 : PPP link layer failure

TUE JUN 02 11:30:26 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=12)

TUE JUN 02 11:30:14 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=9)

TUE JUN 02 11:29:56 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=6)

TUE JUN 02 11:29:50 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=3)

TUE JUN 02 11:26:54 2009 PPP CONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35

TUE JUN 02 11:26:53 2009 Connecting session(0): My Connection due to dsl Restart

TUE JUN 02 11:25:18 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=3)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:17 2009 PPP CONNECTION ERROR on VPI 0 VCI 35 : Could not establish Link

TUE JUN 02 11:25:16 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection refused', count=27)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:16 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection refused', count=24)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:16 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=21)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:16 2009 PPP DISCONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35 : PPP link layer failure

TUE JUN 02 11:25:15 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection refused', count=18)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:15 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=15)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:14 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=12)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:07 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=9)

TUE JUN 02 11:25:03 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=6)

TUE JUN 02 11:24:48 2009 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=3) 

0 Likes
StevenM
My connection drop outs are gone.
0 Likes
this_barb

The disconnects have gotten decidedly worse. Within the past 10 minutes, the internet has disconnected and reconnected 3 separate times (would've been longer but I manually reconnected each time the DSL light sync'd back up) and this has been going on for much of the day according to the connection logs. I've tried powercycling, removing all phones from the wall jacks, tried connecting the modem to a different wall jack, and all of the OS-based stuff that is 100% guaranteed not to work, anyway (ipconfig /release /renew /flushdns, network disabling/repairing).

I called up tech support earlier and they said they would monitor the line for 24-48 hours.

Has anyone actually encountered this exact problem and got it FIXED by a technician? I searched Google and it seems that most (if not all) of the people who suffered from this issue actually ended up switching to another broadband supplier.

0 Likes
deezee123

I've had the same problem. I've called tech support no less than 10 times, only to hear the same thing every time I call. My DSL light will sometimes stay on for long periods of time, but I have no internet light. The tech tells me that no one can be sent out because it looks ok on their end - not so!  We even tried wiring the modem directly to the NID box on the outside of the house where the phone line comes in. You can't get more direct than that!  Even with that extreme measure, we HAD the same problem.

If you notice, I said HAD.  I have finally given up.  We decided to go with a bundle to try and save a few dollars in this economy. I didn't expect to have these problems for sure.  We had cable previously and even though others have had problems with cable, we never did in the 6 years we had it. The change was purely a cost issue and I had accepted that our speed would be slower.

So... after 10 tech support calls, 2 modems, the connection rewired, the purchase of new phones (that was one of the suggestions as we had older phones), several temper tantrums, lost business, and about 3 weeks of a nightmare... we are back on cable. Our connection is again flawless and fast.

I really wanted it to work, but I don't think we had even one day with a good connection that we could use for any length of time. I'm calling right now to cancel DSL as well as the tech that they finally agreed to send out - days later. I am thankful for the 30 day trial period, for sure, so that I can cancel without repercussion - I hope!

0 Likes
ARC_Stig
I am also having some connection difficulty, I usually get a 3360/864 D/U connection, but for about a week or so ive been getting 2400/864 D/U or less, and everything loads about as fast as 56K, or the Internet light will blink erratically (not like the activity blink)...and sometimes my modem will randomly restart all by itself 😐 which I find too be very odd, I don't know if its progrmmed to do that under certain conditions or somthing, but it will, usually when it gets disconnected completely a couple times...it is an older device...also the longest I've ever had a modem...(3 or so years I belive)...anybody know if there is a problem on Verizon's end?
0 Likes