Re: EXTREMELY SLOW DSL SPEED [HIGH SPEED INTERNET
GMSkel
Enthusiast - Level 3

i drew mine all wrong, but here's the picture

http://i29.tinypic.com/2rh011f.jpg

p.s.

i got home today after work, and again my brother and sister told me that the dl speed was slow. i'm not sure if it's something that they're doing online or what, but it tends to happen when i'm not home.

i just unplugged that cable to the far left on the upper wire bar, and plugged it back in and my dl speed is up to 85kbps

but the tranceiver stats show a downstream margin of 6.0db

0 Likes
Re: EXTREMELY SLOW DSL SPEED [HIGH SPEED INTERNET
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is good cat5 wire and you are using a correct pair of wires. It looks very good, but you have a lot, 6 inside wires hooked up. Lets see if we can try to eliminate everything else temporally to see if we can find if it is an inside the house problem or a outside Verizon problem.

FIRST move the modem and computer close to a jack, and use a short cord,6' or less from the modem to the jack.

SECOND, Trace back the in wire and see what the hooks to, most likely a box on the side of your house, see if you can open it and see that no other wires are hooked up out there and you have good connections. Disconnect any other wires.

THIRD, Disconnect all of the out wires except the one going to the jack the modem is plugged into, easy way is plug a phone into that jack and have someone listen while you unplug the wires. Leave the in wire hooked up. You now should only have the in wire and one out wire hooked up.

Now that everything else is disconnected and you checked your connections check your noise margin, if it went up over 9 you know something you disconnected fixed problem, if noise margin is still bad, get a tech to come out and fix lines, have him install a splitter, also known as a whole house filter while he is there.