Getting Knocked Offline/ Strange Issue
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any ideas what would be causing this strange thing?

Some background info: I got verizon (as per their suggestion) to run a direct (dedicated) line from the
phone pole directly to my PC and everything was working fine for many months.
The Verizon technician even installed a homerun filter (his words) at the box, whatever that is.

Anyway, inside my home, I haven't been using any filters on my other house phones (which are on
another line) because the Verizon technician said none is needed, since the phones were on another
incoming line.

Well, lately my dsl service has been going off A LOT.
The  strange part is that whenever it goes off, I can sometimes get it back online when I pick up a
phone in another room of the house and dial a number (any number).
Likewise, when I answer a phone call, it often knocks me off line.

Adding to the mystery, when it rains or storms (dampness), I am often knocked off line.
That happens like clockwork.

Strange, I know.
Any ideas?

I am using a westell 7500 verizon supplied modem.

Re: Getting Knocked Offline/ Strange Issue
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you need to get Verizon back out. You're either suffering from a High Resistance Open somewhere on the line, which are often times cleared by phone ringing or by using the line, or you are suffering from a case of corrosion.

dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is my issue common?

(dialing a phone number = puts me back online and answering an incoming call = knocks me offline.

Thanks;

I will phone Verizon and have them come here to check out things outside of my house.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not too common (at least from forum postings), but it does happen. Let us know how the tech visits go.