Having problems with wi-fi conection to smartphone
dashonthedash1

During the last week, every time I have taken my new Google smartphone out of range of my home wi-fi, when I bring it back, it can't reconnect. I have tried restarting the phone, turning the wi-fi on and off, and removing and reconnecting the wi-fi conection on the phone, but the only thing that has successfully reconnected the wi-fi is to reset the router. The wi-fi seems to be working on my computers, but they are always in range of the router. At this point, I can't be sure if it is the router or the phone, but the fact that resetting the router always removes the problem would seem to point to the router. Has any of you ever had a problem like this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Having problems with wi-fi conection to smartphone
jonjones1
Legend

@dashonthedash wrote:

During the last week, every time I have taken my new Google smartphone out of range of my home wi-fi, when I bring it back, it can't reconnect. I have tried restarting the phone, turning the wi-fi on and off, and removing and reconnecting the wi-fi conection on the phone, but the only thing that has successfully reconnected the wi-fi is to reset the router. The wi-fi seems to be working on my computers, but they are always in range of the router. At this point, I can't be sure if it is the router or the phone, but the fact that resetting the router always removes the problem would seem to point to the router. Has any of you ever had a problem like this?

There is presently a thread about loss of 5 Ghz on Quantum routers which may be the issue. The solution I posted earlier in the thread was to turn off 5 Ghz on the routers WiFi and use only 2.4 Ghz until there is a permanent solution.

as of now some folks say Verizon Fios is aware and are working on a fix, others are saying Verizon is not aware so are replacing routers, which do no good.

In any case set the device to use only 2.4 Ghz for now and read the other forum post on loss of 5 Ghz 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dashonthedash wrote:

There is presently a thread about loss of 5 Ghz on Quantum routers which may be the issue. The solution I posted earlier in the thread was to turn off 5 Ghz on the routers WiFi and use only 2.4 Ghz until there is a permanent solution.

as of now some folks say Verizon Fios is aware and are working on a fix, others are saying Verizon is not aware so are replacing routers, which do no good.

In any case set the device to use only 2.4 Ghz for now and read the other forum post on loss of 5 Ghz 

0 Likes
dashonthedash1

Thanks for your suggestion. I turned the 5 GHz off, and I will see if this solves the problem. Are there any issues I might encounter, other than a slower wi-fi?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dashonthedash wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. I turned the 5 GHz off, and I will see if this solves the problem. Are there any issues I might encounter, other than a slower wi-fi?

It’s minimal trust me. The 2.4 Ghz is longer distances and better penetration in the home. 5 Ghz is great for close unobstructed WiFi for faster speeds. Although my WiFi is Omni directional mimo because I use my own router. The Verizon Quantum Gateway routers do not have antennas external and almost any obstruction can diminish the speeds. But try using the 2.4 Ghz for now and see if your connection is stable.

0 Likes
dashonthedash1

Seems to have solved the phone problem. Probably a firmware issue. I hope they come up with a fix soon.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dashonthedash wrote:

Seems to have solved the phone problem. Probably a firmware issue. I hope they come up with a fix soon.

I think the other thread I mentioned states Verizon is/is not aware of it. Depends on what you read. Others are saying drop your WPA2 settings down to just WPA and the poster has been up three days without failure. But eventually it will get fixed.

0 Likes