Help! DSL Dropping Internet a lot.
Harley151

I have had Verizon DSl for almost 2 years at this residence and haven’t had any issues, until about 2 weeks ago. Out of the blue my DSL started dropping connection rather frequently. I have called tech support many times with no resolution. I have replaced my old Linksys router with a new Netgear router, replaced all the ethernet cables, and today received a replacement modem (Westell 6100G). However, I am still having intermittent outages. I called tech support again and they said they would monitor my connection for 24 hours, but were unable to offer any suggestions on what might be the issue.

I lose connection the internet at intermittent intervals. The DSL light on the modem stays on, the data link flashes somewhat, and the Internet light goes out (sometimes it turns red). If I do nothing, it usually fixes itself. When the internet goes down and I check the modem web page it shows “PPP Down” under IP address, “Disconnected” under Internet Status, and “Connected” under DSL Link. When the internet comes back up, the IP address is different from what it was before it went down.

I have run virus and malware software on my computer and found nothing. My computer is hard wired to the router and my wife uses a laptop. Her laptop works on other networks and if my computer is off, she still has connection issues; so I don’t think either of our computers are the issue.

Transceiver Information Down /Up

DSL Speed 1184 / 447
Margin 17.5 / 28.3
Line Attenuation 46.6 / 25.2
Transmit Power 4.9 / 12.1

Does anyone have any suggestions, other then banging my head into the wall?

0 Likes
Re: Help! DSL Dropping Internet a lot.
Harley151

Wow, apparently posting questions for Verizon is just as helpful as calling there tech support.  Guess i'll be switching to comcast on monday.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a community forum, so generally it's just other people who have Verizon services helping you out. Verizon Employees do post from time to time around here as well if they have a solution to offer.

Your modem's Transceiver statistics seem fine, but it might be worth checking out your modem's logs as well if you still wish to troubleshoot the connection. It sounds like some issues occurring with PPP Authentication with Verizon's RADIUS servers. To verify, visit the System Logging section of the modem which is under Advanced Monitors.

NetSec
Enthusiast - Level 2

If your logs look like this, then you know its not your fault.  This is an ongoing issue with Verizon.  I just started having it about 2 weeks ago too.

SUN MAR 06 20:05:28 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 153)

SUN MAR 06 20:05:15 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 150)

SUN MAR 06 20:05:09 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 147)

SUN MAR 06 20:05:05 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 144)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:49 2011
CWMP: Final Http Return Code = 0

CWMP: Inform (0). The following events are true: 4 VALUE CHANGE

CWMP: TCP Connected, SSL Connection Succeeded, Auth Type = None

SUN MAR 06 20:04:35 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 141)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:28 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 138)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:09 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 135)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:08 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 132)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:06 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 129)

0 Likes
chopper955
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in South Central NJ (Evesham Township) & have been experiencing the same indiscriminate connection issues for the past several weeks.

At first I thought the outages might have been caused by winter weather (icing, high winds etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I recently (last fall) upgraded my internet connection to 1.5 to 3 MBPS while keeping the same modem (Westell 6100) & router

(DLink Dir-615).

Could that be an issue?

I have called Tech Services & while the gentleman really tried to assist, I honestly could barely understand him.

In just looking at the number of similar topics listed in the forums, I can't help but think this is some sort of Verizon problem that they are trying to keep quiet about for some reason.

0 Likes
WR81

I have the exact same issue, started about 3 weeks ago.  This is definitely a Verizon issue.  I believe they are purposely doing this hoping we will switcht to their FIOS internet.  Well, I will be switching, but away from Verizon and to local Time Warner. 

Verizon has the worst customer service, I dropped their cell phone service for this reason, great coverage, horrendous customer service.  Someone needs to inform the CEO that customer service is important.

0 Likes
Felix13

I am have trouble staying connected to the interment  what can i do to stop it?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Felix13 wrote:

I am have trouble staying connected to the interment  what can i do to stop it?

Please start a new thread with the answers to these in it....

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from you modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If a RJ-45 WAN port router is connected to it, what is the brand and model of your RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 Even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem and if you have a RJ-45 WAN port router: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes