Re: Hot Tar Drip Speed Test Wave
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

The last two techs confirmed it was on Verizon's end.  I have a very good signal to and in the house.  No problem with other devices like my alarm, fax or anything.  Believe me, I tried everything before they came and they tried everything when they came.  I got an automated call from Verizon today saying my issue had been resolved so I did another speed test and I'm clocking an average of 1.4 mbps download so I'm on hold with them now trying to find out why I don't have consistent speed and connection.

catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

This beats the stew out of me.  While I have techs on the phone doing line tests I get great speed.  They put me on hold, I try again and I'm back to the tar drip.  They tweak again and my next few tests are great.  I get off the phone and I'm down from 6 to 2 mbps download.  Obviously, they can get the right speed to the house.  What prevents the connection from being consistent?

catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been getting pretty good speed since my last post, however,  I got a latency test error message several times when testing speed in the wave and I keep getting logged out of everything.

0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got another call yesterday that the line was fixed.  I tested and had 6 to 7 mbps down and .7  up.  Well, it's back to business as usual today.  .57 mbps down and .14 up.  Actually, that's worse than usual.  I'll see how it goes when the tech comes Monday.

0 Likes
I WANT A REFUND!!!!!
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the past few weeks I was getting half decent service.  Not the kind of speed I'm paying for (5+ mbs) but at least 2 mbs on a regular basis and sometimes as much as 5.  But now it's back to a tar drip.  Here's my results.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1311150394.png

I want my money back.  Verizon obviously can't provide consistent service so why am I consistently paying for something I can't get?

Sooooooo very disgusted with Verizon's sneaky service downgrade
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

I started having constant disconnect and slow speed problems again a few months ago.  After tons of DIY  troubleshooting, I did an online chat to see about getting a new modem/router and was told to contact billing.  When I called a few days later, the recorded message said my line had been fixed.  Indeed, the disconnect problem had decreased to just  3 or 4 times a day but the speed was still slow.  I checked my plan to see what the speed should have been and found out the plan I signed up for (mentioned in this thread) was no longer the plan I had.  In fact, I'm getting speeds close to the dial up plan I had before DSL.  I never got notice that I was downgraded to 1.1-3 MBPS.  My old plan isn't even offered anymore.  As soon as I can get broadband from my cell phone provider I'll be done with Verizon once and for all.

0 Likes
Re: Sooooooo very disgusted with Verizon's sneaky service downgrade
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cell Phone Internet I'm afraid is a rather poor service. Not that it isn't fast, but it's likely to be congested equally during the night, and you're bound to run head first into a plan with data usage limits even on these new so-called 4G networks. Hate to say it but every company for no non-economical reason wants to go down that route.

The past few months some individuals, including myself have noticed Verizon removing the option for speeds higher than 3Mbps due to the Central Offices not being equipped to handle the load in the first place. People who call in and don't go through the back door to get problems fixed wind up seeing their lines set to 3Mbps and called "Fixed." You can get your provisioning speed back, but you'll have to fight for it and it does take time. There are a few cases where actually getting the phone number to the CO and having someone set the line speed to 5Mbps from 7.1Mbps has been found to improve the reliability of data transfer, but that is with particular DSLAMs that do not have the backplane to handle anything higher.

0 Likes