How do i convince Verizon to bring either DSL to my area? What can i do?
Liana
Enthusiast - Level 2

Their is no broudband where i live, their are enough people out here just nothing here, im not sure what to do.

I wish i could just try getting DSL from Verizon and see what kind of speed i can get, where i live dialup is useless no matter where the access number

is.

Verizon is the only phone company where i live to, they own the lines for crying outloud.

I would willingly pay twice what others have to pay just to get DSL here.

Im so despirate.

I need something fast.

And do not sugest wireless, i refuse to be slammed with limits.. i need at least 2 gigs a day 30 days a week for all the things i need and have to do.

I tried satalite and it was a joke.

Is their a number for the main office of Verizon where i can talk to a major higher up and cry my eyes out to them?

Im at my wits end.

And no i can not move, it simply is not a choice.

Help please.

Re: How do i convince Verizon to bring either DSL to my area? What can i do?
angeltony0
I came on verizons site for the same reason you are, I cannot believe if you have verizon phone service you would not be able to get their dsl!! But where I live they still dont have call waiting caller id and not sure when they will get it. But our population is around 2000 so they would definetely get customers. Right now I have satellite and its 60.00 a month, and have limited bandwidth, with that kind of money there should be no limit. Please Help someone
0 Likes
Liana
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know, its nuts, their at least that many here, i sware if another phone company comes into the area im switching, especialy if they can offer DSL.

I had satalite, it is worthless for someone like me, i do a lot of heavy surfing and gaming and more, i mean.. i would pay 100 or more a month for DSL.

I do not understand this.. i must be the only person willing to say anything, but i know their are others with computers around here where i live.

What i really do not get is how they can expand a service like FiOS to places where their is already competition while we sit here waiting, they have no competition here where i live, satelite TV would lose big time around here if FiOS TV was here, people here only got satelite cause it was the only choice.

As soon as FiOS or DSL is in my area i am possitive people here will drop the wireless BS, and i will convince them to.

Come on Verizon.. right now you guys are the only ones, give it time though and it will be too late for you here where i live Verizon, because cable will beat you to the punch.

0 Likes
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Liana

I don't work for any phone company, but I think I can answer your question.

DSL is only effective within a certain distance from the Central Office of your phone company.  Back when I initially signed up for DSL, the number of miles was 20.  Any more than that and the 'line' is not strong enough to support a DSL signal.  And I'm guessing we are talking "copper wire" miles and not 'distance a bird flew' miles.

Now, perhaps with advances in technology distance limits have changed since then, but if you live out in the sticks, the odds are not in your favor.

Liana
Enthusiast - Level 2

They could bring FiOS then.. their are enough people here for it.. or i could go over Verizons head and provide a service for my area and cut them out completely, maybe start a local cable company and provide digital phone and cable and broadband and cut off any buisness Verizon does make here.

They dont seem to care about us here anyhow, im always having hell with the lines messing up and hearing voices from other people down the way on my line.

We are a growing community that needs better comunications technology.

I have been living here for over 10 years now and it is getting to be rediculous.

Not only are their plenty people living here but their are a lot of people in the surrounding towns of where i live.

By the time Verizon makes a move, it will be too late for them, they are digging their own grave.. so to speak.

People are not going to wait, i know im not.. im tempted to just cut them off and get a cell phone through sprint or AT&T.. Verizon has been nothing but a  pain since day one when i moved out here.

Anyhow, thankyou for your reply, you were very helpfull, more then Verizon themselves.

0 Likes
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

your reply pretty much confirms the reason DSL can't be offerred to you.  If your phone lines are getting that much interference it would be very hard to create a reliable broadband connection on them.

Give it more time, technology is changing and becoming more profitable every day.

0 Likes
lprice

I agree it can be aggrivating.  The last house I lived in we couldn't get it for about 3 years.  I used dial up for my banking and went to verizons web site every day and did the check for availability thing and after about 6 months of that they sent me a questionairre about was I interested in it (only told them every day for 6 months).  We were able to get it about 3 months after that.  We moved about 2 years ago and people living 3 houses down from me can get it but I still cannot get it here at this time.  If I understand correctly it is because of the way that the phone lines were actually wired.  It seems that they more or less spliced us onto another line rather than running a new one.  I still go in as often as a I can and do the availability check.  I dont have the means to start my own cable company so that is not an option.  I don't even have a clear view of the southern sky so satellite isn't available to me either because I can't cut down 2 acres of my neighbor's trees.  If you find a way to get them to bring it to you, please post something so I can try it.

0 Likes
highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

All I can say is don't get your hopes up even if you do finally get DSL service. I live 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles and if I get a decent

connection once in a while it's a miracle. Decent for me would be one continuous hour of connect time, yet it rarely ever happens. I've been logged on since 7 AM (it's now 10:04 AM) and I haven't been able to get through my email yet as my connection has been down at least 20 times in those

three hours.

Karl

0 Likes
mtpalms
Enthusiast - Level 2

[quote]Hi Liana

I don't work for any phone company, but I think I can answer your question.

DSL is only effective within a certain distance from the Central Office of your phone company.  Back when I initially signed up for DSL, the number of miles was 20.  Any more than that and the 'line' is not strong enough to support a DSL signal.  And I'm guessing we are talking "copper wire" miles and not 'distance a bird flew' miles.

Now, perhaps with advances in technology distance limits have changed since then, but if you live out in the sticks, the odds are not in your favor."[/quote]

Your information is either faulty, or Verizon has been holding out on me. I'd like to see some literature to back up the "20 mile rule"

I live 15 road miles from the main office, and 1/2 mile from an exchange buiding served by fiber optic and dsl is unavailable for me, according to Verizon. However, my neighbors 20+ miles from the main office, with their exchange, can get dsl. The only reason for this that I ever got was from 2 former employees, a line repairman and maintenance supervisor, and their best guess was that the exchange in my neighborhood was too outdated for dsl, but not old enough to be upgraded and Verizon probably couldn't be bothered to do it anyway for a mere 5000 residents. In fact, the retired supervisor remembered when the building was put up, about 15 years ago when Verizon was known as GTE in California.

Line condition has nothing to do with connection availibilty either as far as I can tell. My lines at home are good, they replaced all the lines a few years ago - with  new copper, so I guess we will never have FiOS either. My lines at work, where I do have dsl (which is reliable too), are very staticky and there is a Verizon repair van outside our building at least once a month. When I moved in a year ago the Verizon installer said I was lucky my lines even worked and he dreaded making repair calls to our building.

I pay $80 a month for a 1.5 mps satellite connection at home, but  if I could get dsl, I could work from home instead of paying $600 rent for an office in town in addition to a phone and dsl account which is $125. The disparity of broadband 'haves' and 'have nots' in this country really hits me hard in the pocketbook.

Even if there is some criteria about a 20 mile range, it doesn't matter because there is no way to contact anyone at Verizon in a position to make decisions, let alone actually help a customer out, if they are in fact, eligible for a dsl connection.

0 Likes
chuckfl
Enthusiast - Level 1

There does not seem to be much we can co. A few years ago Verizon stated I qualified for DSL, one of there people even teste3d my line and said

it qualified (real short distance). They gave me a start date than kept moving it for 5 months before they decided my line did not qualify. Dial up or

satilite have been my only options. So I will be going to satilite and probably cell phones. After 23 years with this same account and never a late

payment or problems Verizon would want to keep customers.