How do I find the file for my Verizon personal website?
MIKE7772
Enthusiast - Level 3

I use Verizon DSL, and Verizon has granted me a small amount of free space for a personal website.   I have a built a website on that space, but would now like to have PoloDomains host my website instead of Verizon.   So I'm trying to transfer the entire website to PoloDomains by using FileZilla (FTP).   FileZilla is dispalying the contents of my computer, and is asking me to click on the particular file(s) that I want to transfer.   How do I locate this particular file(s)?    (I use Windows-7)

Doesn't the Verizon personal website back itself up either daily or whenever I make any changes on the site?  For this transfer, I would like to access the most recent file(s).
Thanks for any advice you can give on this!

Mike

0 Likes
Re: How do I find the file for my Verizon personal website?
tns
Master - Level 2

Lots of luck.  I don't think you can get any of the files since they eliminated FTP access.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you use FTP to the Verizon Webspace prior to them shutting down FTP access to the space? If you used the Sitebuilder to make your website since August, the only way to really get your website data is to spider the site and pull the data down using a spidering method.

Most webhosts allow you to use a website builder which they offer, so it might be something worth pointing out if you are unable to get your website data or upload a copy stored on your machine.

MIKE7772
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Smith6612.  Could you please elaborate on the spider method?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The spider method is basically a method of having a program visit a website, see what is on the main page, and follow links to other pages. As it does this, the spider, as it loads up pages can not only store the page information but can also shoot to download page content, too. There are a few programs out there that can do this. Most notably, the Linux wget program if you set it up with the right flags via the Terminal can basically download the entire contents of a website.

If you give me your website address, I can do the heavy lifting for you and upload the contents of what I've obtained for you to download once it's been checked over for consistency. If not, just give this program a shot and see how it does: http://www.httrack.com/ . It's licensed under GPL, so yes, it is Freeware.

Looks like the MyVerizon websites will be promising to spider, though. Nothing's being broken by using SiteBuilder, as I was able to find a random website and pull down it's entire contents using wget. Took a few minutes but it can literally be browsed locally on a machine without an Internet connection.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just as a heads up, the deed has been done. Check your PMs as I have sent you a link to download a copy of your website. It should be ready to go to pop onto anything that can serve web pages.