HP LaserJet Printer Lost Connection with Actiontec RouterModem - IP Address Issue
EMO1961

After installing an Actiontec GT784WNV upon my old Westell 6100 crapping the bed, to my surprise, my HP LaserJet 2100 networked printer would not renew a dynamic IP address. The tech from Verizon tried for hours but no success. I cold started the printer per the HP manual, this generated a factory default IP address of 192.0.0.192.  The router and printer could not communicate becuase the 192.0.0.192 address was not recognized within the router domain of 192.168.1.1. In order to fix, I needed to reset the printers IP adress, but since the computer could not communicate with the printer there was no way to rest the IP address at the printer. The trick was in adding a routing path at the command level, this allowed communciation with printer. Then an IP adress could be manually set at the printer within the routers range, same IP adress was then used in the printer port setup in windows. Success!!  See this helpful link from HP on how to do this.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpj02738#AbT4

Hopefully this will save alot of others out there the time and frustration I experienced.

0 Likes