HSI Installation Prep
hattie88
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there any prep work I need to do in advance of my scheduled HSI installation appointment?

I received the router in the mail already.

Will the technician need access to any other part of my building other than my unit?

Do I need to know which specific outlet(s) the tech should use, or can they figure that out on their own?

Want to be sure I have everything squared away as the forums make this process sound like a nightmare. Never thought I would say I miss Time Warner....

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HSI Installation Prep
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The installer will need access to where the NID is located. Typically this is where your electrical meter is located, or where your utilities enter. Usually the NID will be outside, but it can also be in a closet or basement room. Your landlord will likely know best.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

You are not saying what type of high speed internet you are subscribing to.

is it DSL (which is called HSI) or are you talking about Verizon Fios?

if Fios it will be set up the day the tech shows up. They do the whole process.

they will also help you set up your Fios internet account.

basically depending on your speed selected it will be coaxial (MOCA) or ethernet from the ONT to your router, then a ethernet connection to your computer.

they will test your speeds and connections prior to leaving your residence.

nothing to worry about.

hattie88
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is DSL! I just want to be sure I alert my landlord if the technician needs acess to any other part of the building beyond my unit.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@hattie88 wrote:

It is DSL! I just want to be sure I alert my landlord if the technician needs acess to any other part of the building beyond my unit.

If my memory serves the installer must run a copper line into your home if one is not already there. They will also have connections for your phone, the dsl modem should have had filters if you have other extensions in your residence. No filter is to go on your dsl line box. (Phone dsl is on) 

you must make sure there is a physical electric box where your modem plugs in.

again the installer will test the line and will help you set up your account.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The installer will need access to where the NID is located. Typically this is where your electrical meter is located, or where your utilities enter. Usually the NID will be outside, but it can also be in a closet or basement room. Your landlord will likely know best.