Intermittent DSL connectivity issues for 7 weeks!! Plz help!
nicdame416
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in Philadelphia and for 7 weeks now, I have had little or no dsl connectivity.  VZ has sent out several technicians (about 8-10) but nothing solves my problem.  I have heard that VZ has "optimized" the connection to customers, but I don't know if this is the problem.  Nobody seems to know what the problem is and I can't take it anymore.  I have an online class and I'm beginning to suffer academically because of this problem.  I have never had internet connectivity problems with VZ until now.  The technicians have not found any problems in my home or at my pole.  I really need help with this situation so somebody please assist me because I am getting nowhere with this.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Intermittent DSL connectivity issues for 7 weeks!! Plz help!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Looks like the line is mis-provisioned for some reason. Proper sync rates should be 1184/448, downstream and upstream respectively so give Verizon a call and have them fix that. For the meantime, if you are still having connectivity issues post up your modem logs, from the "All" category.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

We can start with this info...

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What is your OS and Version? For example: Windows XP Home SP3

0 Likes
nicdame416
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Westell 6100

The router is a NetGear Wireless-G Router WGR614v10

OS- Windows XP Professional, and I have Windows 7 on the 2 laptops in my home.

And I've had the laptops connected to my network since September, but we just started having problems around Thanksgiving.

Thanx!

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

About the Westell:

If running the blue firmware, go to http://192.168.1.1/ . Choose Troubleshooting, and then click Transceiver Statistics.

If using Verizon-branded firmware (should be Red and Black), go to System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver statistics. Post up the information you see on that page. If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

0 Likes
nicdame416
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the768kbps-1.0mbps plan.  As of right now, we haven't had any connectivity problems in a day and a half (probably the longest run we've had in a while).

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1 Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_2plus Data Path INTERLEAVED
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 928 445 Margin (dB) 27.6 25.6 Line Attenuation (dB) 49.0 28.9 Transmit Power (dBm) 14.7 12.0

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Despite the good noise margin and decent statistics your Downstream is oddly enough out of sync. Can you restart your modem and post up the same statistics again for us to see? Additionally if you have phone service with Verizon, should the DSL start to act up again listen to the line for any static, humming or other strange noises as it might indicate a problem with the line that was causing the past issues.
nicdame416
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok I restarted it, and I do not have Verizon phone service, or any home phone at all.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision

Vendor ID Code

4D54

Line Mode

ADSL_2plus

Data Path

INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Transmit Power (dBm)

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Looks like the line is mis-provisioned for some reason. Proper sync rates should be 1184/448, downstream and upstream respectively so give Verizon a call and have them fix that. For the meantime, if you are still having connectivity issues post up your modem logs, from the "All" category.
nicdame416
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much.  It's weird, but I haven't had any intermittent connectivity issues for almost a week now.  I think my emails and phone calls to Verizon have finally forced them to fix the issue.  Again, thank you for your help!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Not a problem, and glad to hear it's been solved. I know around the holidays which I forgot to mention, I recall hearing of a few reports of DSL issues out in Philidelphia so they may be related. I know DSL issues are happening in Erie, PA right now but I'm sure they are not related.