Internet Speed is Ridiculously Slow or nonexistent. WHY??
tomames5

Beginning a few months ago now, my internet speed will barely reach 1MB when doing any speed test. Usually it ran at almost the 3MB that I have been paying for for years. I have mostly Apple products connected to the internet through my Westell modem/router. This has begun to spontaneously lose signal in the last month. The modem shows it is connected to the internet (the internet light is lit), however, no device can pull a webpage. The modem has to be restarted, sometimes several times a day.  I have contacted support in the past and was told this was the best it could be. I just don't believe this. I feel I am being taken advantage of. My wife and I cannot sit side by side and use the internet. One device will work, but the second device just clocks. This needs to be addressed. With the updates in technology every year, it is time to spend some of the hard earned money I pay you to provide at least some semblance of what you advertise. 

0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed is Ridiculously Slow or nonexistent. WHY??
zuloxeno
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't believe it you too. Exactly right, they said that it is the best we can do. So, my question is now... why does my bill keep going up (now $55 month dry loop/internet only) and my speed going down and degrading to the extent that I have to restart my modem 3-4 times a day.

I called and spent hours with asian tech support, but the technicians don't think in terms of an "actual" issue occuring. Their belief is that you are doing something wrong in your house to reduce the speed. Kids steaming netflix whatever... I must have gone through 10-15 redundant steps with tech support to only prove the service was terrible.

Last time I called, "we'll lets do a speedtest". So, it rates at 1.02 or something close to 1 Mbps. And the response was almost canned the way he explained, "that because your internet speed reaches above 1 Mbps we can't dispatch anyone out to look at the lines." I wasn't even too concerned them about the amount of money vrs speed and consistancy as I was wanting to just fix the dam problem.

I know that no one from Verizon will care to respond to our needs, Verizon does not care about the customers like us. If your not paying $100 a month for their packages, whats the point?

I'm glad I don't work in telecom with Verizon anymore!

0 Likes
Catemaco
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have DSL, but live in an area served by Verizon's FIOS, then I suspect that the problem is that Verizon wants you to switch to FIOS so they don't have to maintain the copper lines and switches any longer.  They have been pushing me to switch for a couple years now, but until they supply backup batteries that last more than a few hours and free replacement  batteries, I am not interested in switching.

If your area does not have FIOS -

Check that the problem is not your Westell modem.  You may have already done this, since you've tried calling tech support, but if you haven't, try testing with a different modem, either borrowed, of if you must, buy a new one (you can return it if it's not the problem).  Electronics do go bad, and that may be your problem if the modem is more than a couple years old, or has suffered from power surges.

I was able to get Verizon to come out and fix my painfully slow Internet last Fall, after my speed slowed to something like 300 kps downloads.  (I was getting better upload speeds, which is almost unheard of.)  

They said there was a problem at the box up the street, and they switched my line to another connection.  Unfortunately, it failed to fix the problem, and they had to send someone out again.  The second person never even came to my house, but they did fix the problem.  

As part of this whole process, they insisted on sending me a new modem, even though I had bought and tested with a new DSL modem from Best Buy, marked specifically as compatible with Verizon.  They then started to charge me for the modem, even though I hadn't requested it.  

The only thing I can say is be persistent.  

Catemaco

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who need help

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes