IP conflict running Windows 98
Old_Lutheran
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I start up my HP desktop running Windows 98 I get the following message: The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.1.1 with the system having hardware address. 00:OF:DB:29:C2:30. The interface has been disabled. The computer used to be able to connect but I have to run in safe mode to start up at all. Is there a way to resolve that conflict? I have 2 other wired connections and a wireless connection that work OK.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IP conflict running Windows 98
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Please check if that computer is setup for Static IP or Obtain an IP address automatically.

This means..

a) Right click Network Connections on the desktop, and then click the properties option.

b) You should see a list of options under the following components are installed. We are looking for the TCP/IP of your internet connection. Click it when you find it, and then click properties.

c) If don't see that Obtain an IP address automatically has dot, the computer is setup for a Static.

--

#2 If your computer is setup for a Static IP:

a) Record down the settings and then put a dot next to Obtain an IP address automatically.

b) Click Ok.

c) Restart the computer as need be.

d) Please report back what the settings that you recorded down.

--

#3 What is the brand and model of your router?

a) In your other post, so far in the dsl area, you said you have the Westell 327w.

b) Is that still correct?

View solution in original post

Re: IP conflict running Windows 98
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Please check if that computer is setup for Static IP or Obtain an IP address automatically.

This means..

a) Right click Network Connections on the desktop, and then click the properties option.

b) You should see a list of options under the following components are installed. We are looking for the TCP/IP of your internet connection. Click it when you find it, and then click properties.

c) If don't see that Obtain an IP address automatically has dot, the computer is setup for a Static.

--

#2 If your computer is setup for a Static IP:

a) Record down the settings and then put a dot next to Obtain an IP address automatically.

b) Click Ok.

c) Restart the computer as need be.

d) Please report back what the settings that you recorded down.

--

#3 What is the brand and model of your router?

a) In your other post, so far in the dsl area, you said you have the Westell 327w.

b) Is that still correct?