Is it worth using my Westell 6100 as a router, or should I ask Verizon for new equipment
mwk

I've finally decided to create a small home network, just so we can use our laptop and desktop on the Internet at the same time.  I'm probably going to try a powerline adaptor, because wireless configuration will be difficult the way our house is.

I have the Westell 6100, which I realize is ancient at this point.  I see that there's only one Ethernet port on it, but it does have router capability.

Am I better off buying a switch for it and using it as the router, or asking Verizon for a new one?  Do they still force you to lock in to their services if you get new equipment?

0 Likes
Re: Is it worth using my Westell 6100 as a router, or should I ask Verizon for new equipment
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Quick question, but how did I just create a blank post?! Every other forum software I've used won't save a post unless it actually contains something in the body.

@mwk wrote:

I've finally decided to create a small home network, just so we can use our laptop and desktop on the Internet at the same time.  I'm probably going to try a powerline adaptor, because wireless configuration will be difficult the way our house is.

I have the Westell 6100, which I realize is ancient at this point.  I see that there's only one Ethernet port on it, but it does have router capability.

Am I better off buying a switch for it and using it as the router, or asking Verizon for a new one?  Do they still force you to lock in to their services if you get new equipment?

The Westell 6100 isn't outdated, and there isn't anything wrong with using the 6100 as your router, either. It won't handle large networks but small networks like the one you're asking for shouldn't tax the CPU and RAM on the modem too much. So yeah, just connect a switch and a PowerLine adapter if you wish to use one and you should be all set.

0 Likes
Re: Is it worth using my Westell 6100 as a router, or should I ask Verizon for new equipment
mwk

Ha...I don't use this forum very often so I can't say for sure.  It doesn't surprise me, though, given that it's Verizon.

Thanks for the advice, that is exactly what I needed to know.  I tried Googling the 6100, but there's not a lot of useful information available it seems.

0 Likes
mwk

Hi,

I've purchased the equipment I need.  I was just wondering though, do I need to make any configuration changes to my computer or modem or can I just connect the switch and powerline adaptor and it will work?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

They should be Plug and Play. Ensure the PowerLine Adapters see each other (many of them typically have a status light on them indicating a connection) before attempting to hook up the switch and the connection to the router.

0 Likes