Is my service being throttled?
grm31

Less than a year ago I was upgraded tothe 3 Mbps DSL plan, and I consistently reached speeds of 2.6-2.9 Mbps.  Lately, I can't seem to get higher than 1.3 Mbps on any device I try testing with (desktop, laptop, smartphone).  Nothing has changed on my end, so is it safe to assume this is simply the result of throttling, and there's nothing I can do?

0 Likes
Re: Is my service being throttled?
hitmehhh
Contributor - Level 1

I think you are being throttled. I am paying for enhanced 3-7 mpbs I was consistently getting 6. Then about 5 weeks ago ,when nothing changed, can't get any better than 4.5

0 Likes
mikewiz1962
Enthusiast - Level 2
I think a lot of us are getting throttled down. Same issue except I went from 3 down to 1.5 on a good day. Usually, 1 to 1.25. I am moving to Clear 4g and will be up and running next Monday as equipment was shipped today. I will post my experience with them here.
0 Likes
grm31

mikewiz1962,

I saw from your other post, you are located on southern NJ. Whereabout?  I'm having my issues in Burlington County NJ.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To OP

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I see

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
MysteryB
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are probably being "optimized." 

0 Likes
mikewiz1962
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am located in Camden County in Gloucester TWP. The service is terrible. My wife could not even use Netflix.

So think about it, I am paying for Netflix and I am paying for lousy Internet service and can't use either. As I said in an earlier post, I am moving to Clear and the equipment should be here on Monday. I will post the results.

In the past month, my DSL connection has gone down by 50%. They don't seem to care as Verizon gets my money..or at least they did!

0 Likes
sad_customer1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in Northern Virginia and agree the service is being throttled.   I consistently was able to achieve 2.5-2.8 in a bandwidth test until June 2013.  Now I'm running at 1.5-1.8.   Bait and switch.

grm31

I have an old Westell 2100 modem, so I don't know if I can get the transceiver stats.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@grm3 wrote:

I have an old Westell 2100 modem, so I don't know if I can get the transceiver stats.

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By ]Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes