Laying fiber to my house
JeffWilhite
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in a rural area about 3 miles away from the nearest Verizon cell tower. I am a software developer who works remotely from my home, and I need much more bandwidth and data usage than my cell plan with Verizon allows. I am exploring the costs of laying fiber to my house and tying in to Verizon's network at the nearest point. Assuming I pay all the costs of purchasing and laying the fiber myself and negotiating the right-of-ways:

Does Verizon allow individuals to tie in to their network?

How much would Verizon charge me to tie in?

How much would Verizon charge me per month for the direct connection?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Laying fiber to my house
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  These forums are peer-to-peer for Verizon residential services, which means your talking to FiOS, DSL and phone customers here.

I suggest you call the Verizon business office.  They may be able to help you

Note that a Verizon cell tower may nor may not use Verizon backhaul.  Backhaul could be leased from any of a number of business network providers.

You probably should investigate other companies that provide internet connectivity to businesses, they are probably better aligned with your needs.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  These forums are peer-to-peer for Verizon residential services, which means your talking to FiOS, DSL and phone customers here.

I suggest you call the Verizon business office.  They may be able to help you

Note that a Verizon cell tower may nor may not use Verizon backhaul.  Backhaul could be leased from any of a number of business network providers.

You probably should investigate other companies that provide internet connectivity to businesses, they are probably better aligned with your needs.

Good Luck.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically, such a project would require a Metro Ethernet circuit per Verizon's standards. Metro Ethernet can run several hundred to several thousand a month depending on circuit characteristics - for example, circuit lease length, bandwidth, SLA, IPs, and the POP it runs to. To get exact pricing, you would need to get quotes from multiple carriers, not just Verizon.

If FiOS is around, you might get by with just residential rates after the construction fees, but from the sounds of it that may not be an option.

Your best bet may be finding a business class WISP that can suit your needs via Microwave, or seeing if you can instead extend some coaxial cable to the nearest cable company.

0 Likes