Length of time for connection speed change
Mattyt
I recently upgrade my connection speed from 768k to 3mb and was told I would see the change within 24 hours. 32 hours later no change. Anyone know how long it really takes?
0 Likes
Re: Length of time for connection speed change
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While you are waiting for the answer to your question, there maybe a reason why you can not upgrade...

Answer these questions to the best of your ability. What ever you can not answer, just say "unknown."

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 How far are you from the CO?

#3 What are your modem stats showing?

#4 You did remember to turn off and turn back on the power to the modem and your other equipment for at least 5 minutes?
0 Likes
Re: Length of time for connection speed change
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Normally the upgrade is essentially in real time. The DSL connection does need to be reset, so a new data rate can be negotiated between the Central Office equipment and your modem. Mine upgraded while I was still talking to the verizon rep.

However there are some circumstances where the upgrade happens, but has no effect. The speed quoted is the maximum possible. Whether that is achievable or not depends upon the quality of the copper pair between the DSL modem and the Central Office. If the characteristics of the pair aren't good, you cannot crank up the underlying data rate.  I went from 768/128 to 3mb/768, and while I got close to 3mb/sec on the downlink in good weather, I never got anywhere near 768 on the uplink side. The copper pair just wasn't good enough, and in bad weather (rain), the underlying data rate on the DSL downlink would drop to about 2.3mb/sec, and if I could hear thunder, my DSL was down.

You might check to see what your modem reports the underlying datarate as.

go to http://192.168.1.1 and look at the router logs. It will tell you the underlying data rate, and the up and downlink losses. Very high loss levels, and your speed suffers because the underlying DSL data rate has to be reduced.

If you want 'guaranteed speed', go to FIOS, it is pretty all or nothing on FIOS. If it says 20/5, it is pretty much 20/5, or it doesn't work at all, just the nature of the beast.

0 Likes